General discussion

Office 2000 on Win 98

By eddieduce ·
How can I use the registry to make the Spelling/Grammar options inaccessible to users?

In my lab group I have setup the option that are required by the company and should not be change. There is a machine that has these blocke but can not come to a conclusion as of how/when I did this!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

I simply have to ask why you would want to block Spell Check/Grammar. Are you an English teacher? A really sadistic one?

Collapse -

by eddieduce In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jdclyde In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

This sounds more like wanting to play a prank on someone? Maybe make life difficult on a co-worker?

Sorry, but I can't help. I learn how to fix computers to help users be more productive, not break them to hinder the user in any way as there would never be a valid reason in business to disable spell check.

Collapse -

by eddieduce In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by tdeast In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

you should be able to disable this i the registry by searching for the office and searching for the spelling section and under the spell option change to n for no.

Collapse -

by eddieduce In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

New friends,

I am not an English techer nor sadistical, nor is this a prank. My company has requested that the features be SET TO COMPANY REQUIREMENTS (NOT DISABLE) and midification PREVENTED. These are public machines to which settings are constantly tampered with.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

I spent a lot of time researching this and you need to remove security group permissions from the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Spelling

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Grammar

You can also modify the NORMAL.DOT to not spell and grammar check all the default styles.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/browse_thread/thread/75c241bd8aea4591/2324d0591488c73f%232324d0591488c73f?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Office 2000 on Win 98

You want to lock down a Windows 98 system!!!

You can try, but a smart user can get past most settings changes.

What you need to do, is find a copy of the Windows 98 Resource Kit.

The book includes a CD that has Group Policy Editor for Windows 98.

Using group policy will provide the most locked down Windows 98 systems short of some security software packages.

Chas

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)