Question

Office 2007

By rough-ready ·
I am running XP Pro SP3, Office 2007 Pro. My spell check in Word will not work despite all the settings being correct- (works in other Office programs). I also have a really odd problem with 'help'. When I click on the help icon, the search box says 'downloading..',next a download box says ' transition.htm.'office program name'.12.1033.It then opens up a Mozilla window 'downloading from Office online', with a broken link showing. If I close this, the search box is there with topics listed but cannot display any results on the right.
I checked under Folder Options-File Types and the Help icon is set to open with Windows Winhlp 32 Stub. Under Firewall settings, clview.exe is set to 'allow'.
Does anyone have a suggestion ? I'm stuck!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: SpellCheck in Word

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Office 2007

Spellcheck doesn't work the same way as it used to in previous versions. At least, not the correct as you type feature. You now have to check the spelling of the entire document using a button/menu item somewhere. There are tools you can download from MS Office Downloads and install to get that functionality back, but I can't seem to find the link to it quickly.

As far as the bug with your help feature, try setting IE back to being your default browser for a while, until you get the help feature downloaded. FF/Mozilla can't access it.

Collapse -

Re Office help problem

by rough-ready In reply to re: SpellCheck in Word

Thanks! I followed instructions re IE and opened the help files- yes it did seem to download something. Reset Mozilla to default browser and all is still OK. Think this problem might have started with the last lot of Patch Tuesday updates -anyone else had this problem?
The spell check is strange- it was working fine until recently, have had Office 2007 for over a year. It does work in other Office programs, surely they are not different?
It still works on my other computer with the same settings, and the same set up except Office 2007 Home

Collapse -

Spell Check in Word 2007- Solution

by rough-ready In reply to Office 2007

Have found solution- put it here in case anyone else needs it.
Yes it does seem to be a problem that happens after updates- some people heave this happen most months.
Open Word>Word Options
Add-ins>Manage>Disabled Options>Go
hopefully there will be listed-<english dictionary DLL> (or something similar- eg MSSpell6.dll)
Select it and click enable.
Close & reopen Word
Thanks for the advice re Help files.