General discussion

Office 2K verus Office 2003

By ljackson.desoto ·
Hello -
I have both Office 2k & Office 2003 installed on my computer. I teach 2003 for clients, but prefer to work in 2000. With both installed, when I double-click a file it automatically opens in 2003. Is there a way to have the files open in 2000 instead without having to open the program and then open the file. I tried to r/c and go to Open with, but the only option is 2003 even though I installed 2003 in a separate dircectory than the default, microsoft office. Thanks for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by master3bs In reply to Office 2K verus Office 20 ...

Right click a doc file, click open with and click browse - then locate your 2000 version and click "always open with this program."

Failing that, you can open up Office 2000, then manually open the file from the program.

Collapse -

by ljackson.desoto In reply to

I tried this, but it still opens with 2003. Thanks though.

Collapse -

by Dennis.Keeling In reply to Office 2K verus Office 20 ...

I have a somewhat similar setup, I use Access 97 and Access 2000, but my default is Access 97. When you open Access 2000 that then becomes the default, so our ICT staff provided me the following script
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mdb]
@="Access.Application.8"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mdb\ShellNew]
"Command"="msaccess.exe /NEWDB 1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mde]
@="Access.MDEFile.8"

you may be able to modify this for your own needs.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Wild Bill H In reply to Office 2K verus Office 20 ...

I had the same problem with another Microsoft program (Money). I had two version on the same pc. I found that if I remamed the program, I was able to have both available as a "open with" option after the r/c. I named mine Money 2004 and Money 2005. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Thanks for the insight.

Collapse -

by ljackson.desoto In reply to Office 2K verus Office 20 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)