General discussion

ORA-12541: TNS There is no listener

By stergios_nik ·
Hello,

I have just installed my ORACLE 8i, on a server with the following characteristics Pentium III 800 Mhz, 512MB.

On the server when I execute the OraHome->Application Development->SQL plus tool, I get connected to the database.

The problem is to do with the client software.

I installed the Oracle client on a win95 PC (windows socket 2 installed), but when I performed the database connection testing I get the following error:
"ORA-12541: TNS, there is not listener"

I checkedthe service on my NT 4 server concerning TNS listener and I saw that it was up and running. I noticed that some oracle services were stopped so I started them hopping that this will solve the problem but it did not work!

Also, I checked whether ORACLE server can be pinged and I got replies....thus the network seems to work OK!

Please, If you have any idea what is going wrong, please help. I think something is going wrong with the server)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rob Wolfe In reply to ORA-12541: TNS There is n ...

Direct from the Oracle error book...

TNS-12541 TNS:no listener

Cause: The connection request could not be completed because the listener is not running.

Action: Ensure that the supplied destination address matches one of the addresses used by the listener. Compare the TNSNAMES.ORA entry with the appropriate LISTENER.ORA file (or TNSNAV.ORA if the connection is to go by way of an Interchange). Start the listener on the remote machine.
what it might mean is that you have the SID orthe port wrongly identified in either your TNSNAMES file or in your LISTENER.ORA file

you can usually find them in %ORAHOME%\net8\admin (or somewhere closeby), I dont have oracle installed on my laptop :-)

Hope this helps

Collapse -

by stergios_nik In reply to ORA-12541: TNS There is n ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to ORA-12541: TNS There is n ...

Questions to ask yourself:
1. If there is a firewall between the PC and the server, is it allowing the ports that Oracle uses? (Most firewalls will allow ping, but they may filter out the oracle ports unless you specifically allow them.)
2. Is theoracle client pointing at the server? (Sounds stupid, but typos happen.)
3. Are you specifying a SID and database name the listener is listening for?

Good luck.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)