General discussion

OS/390 to PC based MS Excel

By trebian ·
Background:
I have code written in SAS that runs on MVS OS/390. The output part of the code calls MS-EXCEL spreadsheet and fills in the output data with column headings into the spreadsheet.
Problem:
Problem is this. I run the code on mainframe(batch). I could not find a way for my code to link back to user's PC and call the MS-Excel application.
Other info:
There are valid FTP, NDM, DB2 CONNECT, & CAE established. My code runs on PC-SAS but in mainframe no such luck.
Sumary:
Is there a way to run a job (batch) on mainframe, and at the end the code to invoke back the user's MS-Excel application. (the more I think about it the more I think it won't but it never hurts to ask!)

Thanks in advance.
RS

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by xxx123 In reply to OS/390 to PC based MS Exc ...

What initiates the job on the mainframe? Is it initiated by some mainframe-based scheduling package (e.g. CA7) or does the user initiate it? It seems to me (a long time ago) I used to initiate mainframe jobs by FTPing some JCL to the mainframe to kick off the job. If the PC has a constant IP address, you can probably FTP a file back down to the PC when it's done (also done thru JCL). If you write a VB app to allow the user to start the FTP to the mainframe, then that VB app can keep checking a directory for the existence of the file that only appears when the mainframe job is done. When the file is found, initiate Excel.

Collapse -

by trebian In reply to OS/390 to PC based MS Exc ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by wjhunt In reply to OS/390 to PC based MS Exc ...

RS,
Have you done an RSUBMIT? You first need to connect to the mainframe, then use RSUBMIT to submit the SAS statements to run against mf files. Then using PROC DBLOAD you can transfer the data from the mainframe into an EXCEL file. Check the help on DBLOAD for syntax...

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)