General discussion

Outlook 2000 and Exchange 5.5

By tlotta ·
I have just installed Outlook 2000 on a laptop machine. The machine can see the network etc, however, I can not ' connect to the exchange server , hence can not get any shared folders.

My profile, validates the existance of a server( when I enter the users name and server name it underlines it ok) but does not seem to work .

I have tried reinstalling it but no luck. The user had a valid NT logon and a valid exchange account.

Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Outlook 2000 and Exchange ...

Yuo must used the right installation (Corporate and workgroup), did you install all the options?
Try increasing the timeout value from 30 (default) to 60 or 90. There might be a timeout issue which is often related to DNS or host issues.
If my suggestion works, make an entry on the local machine host file to point to exchange.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by tlotta In reply to Outlook 2000 and Exchange ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by fred_e944 In reply to Outlook 2000 and Exchange ...

When you say "can see the network" I assume you can Ping the Exch. Srvr., but have you used RPCPing (needs to run on both Exch Srvr. and Outlook Client) to verify RPC connectivity necessary for Outlook to connect to Exchange ? Microsoft has a paperon troubleshooting connectivity problems of this sort, but I forget the exact Q numbers.

Are you sure you can't connect? When using a calendar on the server, Outlook can take several minutes to conect to Exchange when you open Outlook. Selecting the "Always use Local Calendar" option from Tools|Options|Calendar Options tab speeds this up.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by chris hirst In reply to Outlook 2000 and Exchange ...

I found this problem when setting up some machines ( laptops & desktops alike, running Win98 or Win95 ). The machine could 'see' shared folders on the exchange host server but not the exchange mail system (Very Confusing). The solution I found was to disable DNS on the client machine ( DNS Configuration in Network Properties ). Hope this helps to solve your problem.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by charles In reply to Outlook 2000 and Exchange ...

I had a simluar problem recently, it would underline and not connect. What I found is by adding in the hosts file in the Windows directory then ip address and exchange server information that it resolved the problem. In fact what was happening is that Outlook 2000 was trying to resolve the exchange server name to an IP. It really appeared to me the machine locked up. Of course if you are running DNS or Wins you might want to make sure everything is set up there correctly. Example in hosts file would be 128.1.1.230 server name. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)