General discussion

Outlook 2000 error: The operation failed

By recessor ·
I'm running Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP pro IBM NetVista and connecting to Exchange 5.5 on SBS 4.5. Problem is Outlook has never been able to open users' mailboxes. I've done this successfully on other boxes running the same mix of software but thethe five IBM units have consistently failed. I've tried every plausible suggestion from Microsoft's Kb but nothing has helped so far. I'd be grateful if someone gave me a hand or hint.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook 2000 error: The operation failed

by magellanix In reply to Outlook 2000 error: The o ...

Ok, from the machine which you can't receive mail, test if it can even connect to the mail server. Start > Run > telnet > Ok. In Telnet type: open mailserver 25 ENTER. where mailserver is the IP of the mail server. Did it work? If not, it is a problem with network. It worked? Then continue on.
See if you can login to the mail account manually. Run telnet again and type: open mailserver 110 ENTER. Type: user username ENTER. where username is the user you are trying to make work, then type: pass passwd ENTER. where passwd is the password for that account. At this point it should tell you if you are in or not... it could be that account does't exist or the password if you coudln't get in. If you did get in, type: list ENTER. this lists the emails you have. IF you do see some numbers like 1 2 3... they are emails, to read one of them type: top 1 10 ENTER. That means, read mail 1, show 10 lines only. If all this worked then the problem is with outlook, if it didn't then problem is with theserver. If you suspect outlook is the problem, recheck the mail settings for smtp and pop addresses use an IP address see how thiw will help.
Cheers, Hope all that helped.

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)