General discussion

Outlook 2000 w/ Attachments

By TomSal ·
Hi everyone. I'm a network and tech support guy, but I'm only a newbie to Outlook 2000. I had someone send me a program via a file attachment yesterday and this morning while checking my mail Outlook informs me that it has cut off access to it due to it being a potential security risk. (It's a .exe file and falls in the Level 1 list). I can't believe this crap, now a program is controling how I work? Gimme a break. So before I delete Outlook 2000 from my machine and purposefully buy an email client that MS does not make, I figured I'd ask you guys if there is away for me to get my attachments.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Tom

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by SyscoKid In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

Try going to Tools -> Options -> Security tab, click on Attachment Security, and set it to "None".

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

There is no such setting as "Attachment Security" under the Security tab.

Collapse -

by SyscoKid In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

This is not really an answer, just a comment, but once an awnser is rejected there is no longer an option to post a comment.

So anyway, I'm running Outlook 2000 in Corporate or Workgoup mode, and I sure as shootin' have an Attchment Security setting. Click on Help -> About... The second line, right under Microsoft Outlook 2000 tells you what mode you'r running. If yours doesn't say Corporate or Workgroup, then I guess the differnt modes have different settings. Sorry.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by kpittman In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

You may have the secutity update installed for outlok. "The Outlook E-mail Security Update provides the following security measures:
E-mail attachment security prevents users from accessing several file types when sent as e-mail attachments. Affected file types include executables, batch files, and other file types that contain executable code often used by malicious hackers to spread viruses.
To remove you'll have to uninstall/reinstall Outlook 2000 but don't install the Outlook 2000 security update.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by aavakian In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

This is the email security patch that does this. The only way to take it off is to uninstall office2000 and reinstall it and not the patch. If you don't want to do all that then have the user rename the attachments before sending to something that outlook will not hide, like .txt, then save the attachment outside of outlook and rename it back to .exe or whatever it should be. Just make sure that you do not rename it in outlook or it will disappear.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by djudice In reply to Outlook 2000 w/ Attachmen ...

Based on the information I have seen, you will have to uninstall Office 2000 totally and reinstall with out loading the Email Security Update. Woody's Office Watch has some great information about the entire security issue in the June 12th issue at:
http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archives.asp
There are several issues dealing with the security patch and they are very informative. You can also check out Slipstick for more infromation at:
http://www.slipstick.com
There is also quite a bitthere on the patch and what it does.

I have used Outlook since it came out several years ago and I have always installed all of the patches, until now. I use Norton Antivirus 2000 with the email security scan and I also have been using Zonealarmpersonal firewall with it's email scanner. The combination has prevented me from having any problems with the recent virus problems, even though I have received many copies of the Love variant viruses.

Good Luck!
David

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Software Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next