General discussion

Outlook 2002 - Unable open attachments

By fstockmaster ·
Attachments being sent through email and opened with Outlook XP (2002)sometimes will open with a double-click and sometimes will not. We have checked security and MS Knowledge Base and have attempted everything we could find there. Anyone have any ideas? Files that are unable to be opened if forwarded to another user replicates the same problem.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ali40961 In reply to Outlook 2002 - Unable ope ...

Is this related to the error "Outlook has removed unsafe attachments"? if so, go to tools, Security, and UNCHECK the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened...".

Or could it be part of the Windows update patch that hung programs like Office, IE not working properly, etc? I do not use OE or Outlook (Thunderbird person) but have experienced this issue from my users.

Dont know if this will help or not. Just a shot in the dark.....

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Outlook 2002 - Unable ope ...

If an attachment will not open on multiple systems it is either the attachment itself or security policies.
Is the problem coming from 1 source or company? If so, they may be using an incompatible software for you to read. Do you have the correct program installed to open the attachment? no mention was made of file types.
What happens if you download the attachment and then open it?
If it works after downloading it, then it sounds like a security feature. In this case it can either be unblocked, or that type of file needs to be downloaded to open.
post pack with more info please

Collapse -

Same issue

by psingleton In reply to

I am having the same problem with several computers in my office, however most of the computers have no issue at all. I have noticed that this issue is only with Outlook 2002, all of the systems with office 2007 installed work perfectly. Is this Microsoft's way of forcing me to buy more licenses to put '07 on all of my computers? This started occurring after I installed service pack 3 on most of our systems, don't know if that's just a coincidence, but thought it was noteworthy.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)