General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2003-Large Mail-Security Warning

by jvg ·

Using Outlook 2003 on XP (SP2) when trying to open a large .pst file (~300 MB as a backup of old e-mails) I got an ?Attachment Security Warning? saying ?The file may contain a virus?.You must save the file to disk before it can be opened. ??.

As the file is already on disc (even if saved again the result is the same) how can I get access to the e-mails on the .pst back up file?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Outlook 2003-Large Mail-Security Warning

by craig321 ·

In reply to Outlook 2003-Large Mail-Security Warning

Did you try the scanpst.exe utility to see if the pst is corrupt?

cgesicki@yahoo.com

by hal 9000 ·

If you really need to access them you’ll have to import them into Outlook.

If they are only for reference purposes you can create another User Account and import them into that but you’ll need to go through the entire setup process to create the user account, but if it’s important you can fail to enter correct server addresses or an incomplete user name/password combination so that this Account in Outlook will not be active every time you open it.

Col

by jvg ·

In reply to Reply To: Outlook 2003-Large Mail-Security Warning

Should be something wrong with my Outlook (I am using “Thunderbird”). On another computer with the “same” OS the “Import” worked OK.

by hal 9000 ·

Well in that case create an account in Thunderbird and import these stored e-mails into that account.

It’s exactly the same way that you would do it in Outlook.

I don’t think that you’ll find that there is anything wrong with your computer other than the fact that it may lack a bit of processing power and falls over in manipulating these large files so you get the error message pop up but even if you could open one pst file it would be mostly junk in HTML code.

Remember that outlook doesn’t store individual E-Mails separately but stores the entire contents of a single folder as one big file that may contain thousands of individual e-mails.

But if you are worried about your computer then download The Ultimate Boot CD and run some diagnostics to see if everything is working correctly. It’s available at

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Col

by jvg ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads