General discussion

outlook 2003 message retrieving problem

By christopherhf ·
i am having problem recieving a big email attachment (ex. size 30 mb). i am using outlook 2003 and configured as pop3. i already waited 2 hours still i can't recieve it, my other incomming emails are also affected because the big email is still on queue... please help me. Is there any way that i can do to solve this problem without deleting the big email in Queue

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to outlook 2003 message retr ...

Most ISP email has a limit on size of hte file that the mail server will accept, so I am suprised they will accept a 30 meg email attachment.

The speed of your connection will determine the speed of delivery. This site can assist you in determining your download times:

http://www.martindalecenter.com/AATimeCalc.html

Assuming that you have a 30 meg file and a 56.6 KBps modem, you would be lookign at a minimum of 1 hour, 9 minutes and 45 seconds to download that file.

Collapse -

by christopherhf In reply to

i am using my company email system trough LAN, sorry i did not provide this info before. you may ask why i configured pop3 not MS exchange server the reason is i already have my other company's exchange server configured in my outlook, only one MS exchange configuratinn is allowed, i dont want to switch profile also i want to read my email from 2 company in one profile. my office mate was able to recieve the email with the same attachement apox. 5 min after the sending time, his email is configured as MS exchange server not pop3. i am wondering that we are in the same network same attachement was sent to us the only difference is the configuration. (POP3,MS Exchange server).. please educate me.

Collapse -

by dre_2002 In reply to outlook 2003 message retr ...

I would recomend that you have the sender post this email on a free ftp site and you use a download manager to get the file.

30 Mb is a lot to be pulling over POP3 especially on a slow link.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by christopherhf In reply to outlook 2003 message retr ...

i am using my company email system trough LAN, sorry i did not provide this info before. you may ask why i configured pop3 not MS exchange server the reason is i already have my other company's exchange server configured in my outlook, only one MS exchange configuratinn is allowed, i dont want to switch profile also i want to read my email from 2 company in one profile. my office mate was able to recieve the email with the same attachement apox. 5 min after the sending time, his email is configured as MS exchange server not pop3. i am wondering that we are in the same network same attachement was sent to us the only difference is the configuration. (POP3,MS Exchange server).. please educate me.

thanks

Collapse -

Hey how you doing, thank you for shedding some light on the situation.

You need to make your Server Time Out option longer on your email client. Here are the steps.

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
2. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.

3. Click the e-mail account you want to change, and then click Change.

4. Click More Settings, and then click the Advanced tab.

5. Under Server Timeouts, move the slider toward Long.

6. Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish.

Collapse -

Hi, thank you for your suggestion, I followed your instruction I increased the server timeout to 10 min. but still same problem. After a while a received a message see below.

Recieving report error (0x8004210A)The operation timeout waiting for a response from the recieving (POP) server. If you continue to recieve this message,contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).

Any other idea ? thanks in advance?

Collapse -

Please try using outlook express and tell me what happens.

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)