General discussion

Outlook 2003 slow over VPN

By gstaver ·
I have a client who has Exchange 2000. He uses a DSL line at his busines and his home. At night he takes his laptop home and connects to his exchange mailbox over a VPN connection. His laptop has Outlook 2003 and is setup in Cached Mode.

Here is the problem. While at home he can open Outlook fine. The first time he trys to create a new message though Outlook hangs anywhere from 3-5 minutes. His mailbox size is over 400 Megs and he uses 3 sets of archive folders.

What could be causing this initial delay when creating a new mail message and what can I do to alleviate it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Outlook 2003 slow over VP ...

Is Outlook hanging or is it downloading messages to his cache, sending messages to the Exchange server, downloading calendar updates, etc?

What is the CIR on the DSL line?

You may want to review the information on this Microsoft techincal overview for resolving that issue:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/office/2003/all/reskit/en-us/outb04.mspx

Collapse -

by gstaver In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Outlook 2003 slow over VP ...

first thing first,
set a limit on his mailbox size.
if needed he can burned the mails on cd in order to retrieve them once in a while.
second I agree that all the information is going back on forth over the line, so the traffic might be a problem.
You can check if you can set up Outlook Web Access on the exchange box, so he can see the email in a web based browser (although you have to check if he will see that pst files (I am not sure about that)
the other item is , if you can setup a Terminal Server where he can access his mailbox, in that case only the screen shots will go over the isp line and not the payload of the data.

Leopold

Collapse -

by gstaver In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by gstaver In reply to Outlook 2003 slow over VP ...

I have determined it is a problem with using Word as the default email editor. I have removed this option and all is fine now. Not sure what is causing that but it is now working fine.

Collapse -

by gstaver In reply to Outlook 2003 slow over VP ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)