Question

Outlook 2003 - (Some) Attachments are opening as Read-Only

By carl.behrent ·
Since a client has upgraded to Outlook 2003 when they get some emails with Office attachments they are marked as Read-Only so they cannot save them.
When an email arrives, they fully open the email, open the attachment and at the top of the window beside the file name is has (Read-Only)

I have read http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906168 and can confirm that's not the same problem as they are double-clicking on the email to get to the attachment.
They don't want to right-click on each attachment, save it somewhere, then open it either.

Is this a feature in Outlook 2003?
Something happening when the document is created?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Outlook Attachment Issues

by kbashir In reply to Outlook 2003 - (Some) Att ...

What my experience has been with Outlook that mostly you encounter read only problem is when attachement is accessed from the preview window. If the e-mail message is opened properly and then attachment is opend then there is no problem.

However, if the original document is passsword protected then it will be read only format for the recepient. But even if it is read only it can still be saved unless there are rights management software is involved.

Hope it helps.

Collapse -

Temporary Internet folder could be the problem

by MarkSpeevak In reply to Outlook Attachment Issues

Ry deleting everything in the Temporary Internet Folder, by going in Internet Explorer, Tools, Options, and then select 'delete files'.
If that does not help:
In the Registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version \Outlook\Security (the version section will vary with the version of Office installed). Add or edit the value OutlookSecureTempFolder, entering the preferred location for the attachments, such as C:\Attachments.

I had similiar issues with the attachement not being able to open. Maybe this will help.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)