Question

Outlook 2007 Attachment problem

By Spector ·
Hi
I'm having problem to save one or more attachments in a saved mail.
When I save a mail as .msg and open up the saved mail the attachments (could be whatever) can't be saved afterward using office button>save as>save attached files. Nothing happens when i click.
It works if the mail has been recived, but not when i open a saved mail.
The users can save the attachement by choosing each of them but why doesn't save all work?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: Saved Mail

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Outlook 2007 Attachment p ...

Once you save email as a MSG, you're removing it from Outlook environment to a stand-alone environment and, in effect, changing the 'file type'. Outlook no longer knows the attachments are there. The commands and tools in Outlook will work when the email is still inside of Outlook's database where it knows the 'properties' of each piece of email, but not once the email is saved outside the program.

Teach your users to save the file attachments while the email is still inside of Outlook. And, if you MUST save emails as separate MSG's outside of Outlook (I don't know why you would ever do this), you best already have the attachments saved somewhere, maybe even where you're going to save the email to keep them both together.

Collapse -

Thought so

by Spector In reply to re: Saved Mail

I was thinking that it had something to do with what you explained about "changing file type". I agree with you that the users should change the way they work with the files, but you know old habbits...
Thank you for your time.

Collapse -

Yeah, tell me about it....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Thought so

Yes, users and old habits... I know all about it. I have a few who still think they're using Eudora and we switched out of that program 3 years ago. In Eudora, attachments automatically landed in the Attach folder. They could delete the email and the attachments remained. Would you like to know how many attachments, even today 3 years later, need to to be resent to these people because they deleted the email and now can't find the attachment they desperately need?

Collapse -

What you can do is

by w2ktechman In reply to Thought so

help them setup .pst files (personal Folders) in Outlook.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)