Question

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2007 – Emails appearing in yellow

by sformwalt ·

Maybe this is an easy fix and I am just missing something but we have an employee who occasionally will receive an email with all the text in yellow. It’s not the normal yellow color you find under font options but a bright (hard to see) yellow. She is using XP Pro with Outlook 2007. She has this happen with replies to her emails and from initial emails that are sent to her. It’s very random. Any idea what this could be? I did notice that if she logs onto another PC all the emails appear fine. Is it a matter or just reloading Outlook?

Thanks!
    S

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by sformwalt ·

In reply to Outlook 2007 – Emails appearing in yellow

Clarifications

Any ideas?

by sformwalt ·

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Check here…

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to Any ideas?

(These steps may be slightly different for different versions of Outlook)

In Outlook, go to the Tools menu and select Options. In the Options window, click the Mail Format tab, and in the center section for Stationary & Fonts, click the Fonts button. There you can select the font and color being used when replying and forwarding (the default is blue). Other selections concerning what fonts are used can be made here. When you are done, click OK to return to the Options window, then click Apply and OK.

I hope this helps.

[It is greatly appreciated if you tag all useful responses as ‘Helpful’ by opening those posts and clicking the ‘Mark Helpful’ button at the bottom. That way, people with a similar situation in the future will be able to quickly see what ultimately helped. Thanks.]

Thanks but still not working

by sformwalt ·

In reply to Check here…

This doesn’t happen to all emails..it’s sporadic. She will get 10-15 emails in just fine and then all the sudden 2-3 will come in yellow. It’s not the normal yellow that you see in Outlook..it’s a more faint yellow. You can barely see it. And it’s only this one user that is having the problem. She recently did some Windows updates and I didn’t know if those updates could affect her Outlook.

Same yellow font issue here

by sublimedaze ·

Default fonts are set to black, no stationery is even installed. Replies are in an unreadable yellow color. I’ve seen a few questions like this around the internet, but I haven’t seen any valid solutions that actually work.

Still researching… however… check these settings…

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to Same yellow font issue here

In Outlook, go to the Tools menu and select Options.
        In the Options menu, click on the Mail Format tab.
        There, click on the Fonts button in the Stationery and Fonts section.
        Click on the Choose Fonts buttons and make sure they are set to color of ‘Auto’ except for the fonts for Replying and forwarding which can be set to ‘Blue.’

Other than that, I have found no other way to change designated font colors within Outlook. However, it should be noted that Senders can obviously select the color of fonts in the email they send.

Good Luck.

You are not alone…

by tnt@support ·

In reply to Still researching… however… check these settings…

I have a couple users that this happens too, and cannot figure out why it happens. I don’t think it has to do with a standard setting in Outlook, as I’ve checked all the fonts and stationary settings etc. All those change your own (outgoing) emails, and this appears to affect only incoming emails. It is not virus related.

Microsoft makes no mention of this problem in theie Knowledge Base, though the problem exists in multiple locations from what I’ve seen on the internet.

I’ll share any info I get on this when I get it.

I did notice..

by sformwalt ·

In reply to You are not alone…

that the emails that appear in this yellow font are always plain text emails. HTML emails show up just fine.

I still haven’t found anything online about this. Hopefully someone does soon.

Thanks!
          S

Has anyone

by graffpm ·

In reply to I did notice..

found a resolution to this? I have a few users having this problem too.

Interesting…

by tnt@support ·

In reply to Has anyone

I’ve just confirmed the same for one of our users; plain text emails are the only emails affected. When she forwards the message to me it appears as black text, but when I forward it back to her, it’s still yellow. When I forward it as an HTML email, it shows up correctly. Not sure what that means yet, but it is a clue…

An idea…

by tnt@support ·

In reply to Has anyone

I know there is a registry hack that will convert all HTML and Rich Text emails into plain text (some use it as a security messure as scripts and such won’t run from a plain text message). Does anyone know how to tell Outlook to convert plain text to RTF or HTML for display?

I’m fairly certain this would work. I had my co-worker forward a “yellow” email to me and my Outlook displayed it correctly. I forward the message back to her and it looks yellow. I change the format to HTML and forward it to her and it displays correctly. It has something to do with the way their Outlook client is displaying plain text messages.

SOLUTION

by paul ·

In reply to An idea…

Go to Tools – Options – Mail Format – Stationery and Fonts – Personal Stationery.

Under “Composing and Reading Plain Text Messages” click the Font button. On the Font tab, change the Font Color to Automatic.

This solved the problem for my coworker.

To make non-yellow font permanent

by hdwhitworth ·

In reply to An idea…

I was having the same issue, replies were typed in yellow. It didn’t matter if I was receiving them or issuing them. I followed Paul’s advice:

“Go to Tools – Options – Mail Format – Stationery and Fonts – Personal Stationery.

Under “Composing and Reading Plain Text Messages” click the Font button. On the Font tab, change the Font Color to Automatic.

This solved the problem for my coworker.”

Another thing I had to do to make sure the change stayed permanent was under Personal Stationary, select “Theme” and make sure there was no current theme selected. If I left it on “Blank” then it kept reverting back to yellow font.

I hope this helps someone else out.

Viewing 2 reply threads