General discussion

Outlook2002 OUTBAK error msg

By SoilSavers ·
when I open Outlook the following message appears
"C:\Documents and Settings\Bob Clark\Application Data\Microsoft\Addins\C:\Progra~1\Micros~2\Office10\Addins\Outbak.dll is not a valid office addin"

Hit the OK button and Outlook opens.

Then sometimes it will work for 5-10 minutes or 5-10 seconds!! and will just lock up and stop responding.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional SP3:

Have had this problem for >90 days have had to aquire another email program cause Outlook is non functional for me. I have tried a)deinstall office XP and reinstall b)de install Outlook component of Office XP and reinstall c)cut the heads off of chickens and use their blood in strange ceremony suggested by "experts"..all to no avail...

If anyonehas a thought or suggestion ..H E L P!!
I hate to admit that I need the functions Outlook has..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dfields In reply to Outlook2002 OUTBAK error ...

The Outbak.dll file is a component of the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup add-in. This behavior can occur if the Outlook Personal Folders Backup add-in is no longer installed on the computer but a reference to the Outbak.dll file remains in the registry. As a result, the Outbak.dll file is requested but not found when you start Outlook.

To resolve this issue, remove the entry for the Outbak.dll file from the registry. To do this, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3.Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

4.On the File menu, click Export.

5. Specify a file name and location where you want to save the exported registry file, and then click Save.

6. In the left pane, expand the registry key that you located in step 3 (if it is not already expanded), right-click the Microsoft.OutlookBackup.1 subkey, and then click Delete.

7. If you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8. On the Registry menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

The Outlook Personal Folders Backup add-in is available for download from the following Microsoft Web site:
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/pfbackup.aspx

Collapse -

by SoilSavers In reply to Outlook2002 OUTBAK error ...

I followed directions. And sure enough the error message does not come up anymore. However, now after opening, Outlook will "program not responding" if ANY action is taken..repeat
A N Y action...I have tried to "deinstall" both office and Outlook component and then reinstalling..but Outlook "finds" all the old settings and email settings and accounts and sucks them all in and continues to screw up...so i guess i didn't really deinstall after all...I sure appreciate your thoughts T H A N X

Collapse -

by SoilSavers In reply to Outlook2002 OUTBAK error ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)