General discussion

Paragraph Numbering Word2000

By cyndeec ·
I am trying to create test questions. I have been trying to use the numbering (bullets) feature. I want to number my questions consecutively but I want the answers to start over again with the first letter. I have tried every combination I can think of using the paragraph options and cannot get it to work...any ideas?

1. this is question one
A. answer one
B. answer two
2. this is question two
A. answer one
B. question one

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

If you want this to work you will have to tab your answer in some. Set up a tab on the ruller EX Left aligned tab at the .25 inch mark. Tab each answer in so now it looks like this:
this is question 1
this is answer 1
this is answer 2
this is question 1
this is answer 1
this is answer 2
Don't place any numbering on anything. After it is completed select everything then go to Format ->Bullets and Numbering->Outline Numbered tab. From here you can choose an existingformat or customize to your example numbering system. In order for this to work you must tab your answer items in by at least .25 of an inch. If you want space between the last answer and the next question use the Format->Paragraph Space after option. Set up the last answer of one question with EX. 12 pts after spacing and then copy that formatting to each last answer using the Format Painter button(looks like a paintbrush beside the paste button). This will leave a space between the last answer and the next question that will not interfere with your list.

hope it helps

Collapse -

this is answer 1,2 etc. are supposed to be indented underneath the questions above.

Collapse -

by cyndeec In reply to Paragraph Numbering Word2 ...

Thank you for taking time to answer. I did know how to do this but I had mistakenly avoided using the tab key in favor of the indent which I now believe was the the culprit causing my problem. I normally like the format painter a lot but in this instance it would move me too much away from the keyboard. Thank you though.

Collapse -

by JoeVanO In reply to Paragraph Numbering Word2 ...

There is a relatively easy way to do this. First type in your first question and make it number 1. When you hit enter you should automatically get a number 2. At that point press <tab> and it will most likely indent and turn to a small 'a'. This is OK because now we can modify the amount of indent and the style of character shown at the second level. Now select the entire question and answer. Right-click on the selection and select 'Bullets and Numbering'. Then click on the 'Customize' button in the lower right hand corner of the Bullets and Numbering dialog box. You now have access to almost everything that you would want to modify for autonumbering. You select the level you are modifying in the preview area by clicking on it. Click on the line with the small 'a', right under the one. Then click on the 'Number Style:' drop down and select 'A,B,C,...'. You can modify the indent by using the 'Number Position' and 'Text Position' areas and view the efects in the preview area. When you get it the way you like click on OK. Your Bullets and numbering are now set up correctly. Nouw you have to know how to use them. If you hit enter after a question you will get the next question number automatically, so to switch to the "Answer" numbering series (Second level of numbering) you press the <TAB> key. You continue typing your answers and then after you type your last answer for the question hit enter. You will get the next answer letter in the series, so to move back up to the question numbering series you press <SHIFT-TAB>, and it will change to the next question in the series. To enter an unnumbered or lettered line in the series without messing it up, instead of using <ENTER>, use <SHIFT-ENTER>.

Collapse -

by JoeVanO In reply to Paragraph Numbering Word2 ...

To get a more clear picture of how bullets and numbering actually work, bring up the Office Assistant and ask it this question 'How do I use bullets and numbering'. One of the options it should be 'Ways to create bulleted and numbered lists'. Selectit and it gives a good basic overview of numbered lists in Word.

Collapse -

Actually I had already tried a variation of this method (I am very familiar with bullets and numbering) but I wasn't trying to use the TAB key. I was using the indent button which I think was causing my problem. However, I followed your instructions exactly and was able to see my error and work it out. Thank you.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)