General discussion

Passing authentication for windows 2000

By Cricket_Moon ·
I am using Exchange 2000 OWA on Windows 2000. I need to be able to pass NT credentials to the server for our sales dept. to get to their mailboxes via OWA, but I want to elimate the sign on box that pops up when they get to the page. Is there any way that I can pass their username and password that would keep the box from popping up, without having to turn anonymous on?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TechKid In reply to Passing authentication fo ...

In their internet explorer>Tools>internet options>security>trusted sites>Click on the "sites" button then click advanced

Enter your OWA server info there. Click "OK". Then click "Custom Level" on the bottom and scroll to the bottom in the next window. You will see a "User Authentication" option. Set that to "Automatic logon with current username and password"

Haven't tested this out but play around with those settings a bit and see if that helps. You may also try adjusting the info in the "Local Intranet" option too

Collapse -

by Cricket_Moon In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
The login box is originating from the server, not the client.

Collapse -

by TechKid In reply to Passing authentication fo ...

Yeah, of course it's coming from the server. But it's the client that's providing the logon info. That's why you include the login stuff in explorer.

Do the above steps to the "Local Intranet" not the "trusted sites" and it will work!

Collapse -

I tried what you suggested. The login box still comes up. Also, the current sign on that they are using will not work unless they are signed into their local machines with our network sign on. This is not something that we currently require. We will be passing this information programatically.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Passing authentication fo ...

A trick I like to use when talking to IIS domain servers when talking from Windows domain clients is using the machinename.

Here is the deal. Say your internal domain users go to http://192.168.1.1/exchange to get to the OWA login box (probably Username, Password and Domain). They enter in their Windows credentials to be able to sign in.

Instead, try this:

http://MACHINENAME/exchange

Where you replace MACHINENAME with the NetBIOS machine name for the Exchange server.

When you do this, IE will attempt to connect to the webpage using the Windows Authentication passthrough. It will send the username/password/domain info the user is logged into the workstation with, to the webserver. And since Exchange is running IIS, then it goes to the Exchange server.

Now, there needs to be no port filtering between the user machines and the servers, no firewalls blocking TCP port 139,445 (and probably UDP port 137 & 13. So, if nothing is blocking the users, try this.

hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Cricket_Moon In reply to Passing authentication fo ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)