General discussion

Password in win2000

By kazzbar ·
I recently setup a small peer to peer network. One of the existing systems is win2000. The rest of the computers are win98. When I try to use a resource from win2000 system it asks me for a password and user id I never setup a password on the win2000 system. Is there a standard password that would of been setup when win2000 was installed by the OEM. I think I read that somewhere. But can't seem to find that info. The customer called the OEM and they said they never set one up when installing win2000. Tell me it just appeared by itself.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by Joseph Moore In reply to Password in win2000

Are the 98 boxes getting the IPC$ password box, or it is a full-blown username/password dialog box?
And did you change the 2000Pro box security setting to not require logins? There is one that you can set so when the 2000 box powers on, it starts right up without asking for any logins. It uses a default one, I believe.

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by kazzbar In reply to Password in win2000

thanks. I am new 2 win2k. It was very helpful. I really appreciate your quick response. Again thanks

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Password in win2000

on the win98 pc go to control panel, networking, change the winlogon to client for ms windows (if you do not have this option, at the networking add the client for ms window networks service).
when you reboot and it asks for userid and password same as when you log in to the w2k box.
if you do not want to use the same userid and password (thus for someone else to log in, in the w2k box go to: start, programs , administrative tools, computer management, local users and groups, users add a user over here and then at the win9x box when entering win9x use that info.

regards ,

Collapse -

Password in win2000

Thanks for the help. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I don't have a lot of experience in win2k boxes. But am slowly learning. Again thanks for the help.

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by ryder007 In reply to Password in win2000

Hi in win 2000 you will have to log on as admin, then set up a user account under admin tools.

Collapse -

Password in win2000

thanks it was just what i needed

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by saihib In reply to Password in win2000

#3 is right. All users who will access the Win2K machine will need accounts on it. Another way is to enable the guest account. By default it is disabled.

Collapse -

Password in win2000

Thanks. I am kind of new to win2k

Collapse -

Password in win2000

by cornejo.alvaro In reply to Password in win2000

I agree in that you need to create a user on the W2k machine. However, you need to have both machines on the same domain or workgroup. Otherwise the w2k will reject the remote login.

Also take a look onto your shares and verify the permisions settings are ok.

Alvaro

Collapse -

Password in win2000

Thanks for the help

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next