Question

Presario M2000z CTO: Very long boot (1hr) after installing windows SP2

By Sarsnik ·
Hello, I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows (SP1) on my Presario M2000z CTO laptop. Everything seemed to be working fine so I installed all the drivers that were listed on the driver download page for my laptop model on the HP site. Still everything was working normally. However, I installed SP2 from microsoft.com and now my computer takes a great amount of time to boot (sometimes over an hour). I was instructed to update the BOIS by a HP technician but it did nothing. Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Did you have a AV Program running when

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Presario M2000z CTO: Very ...

You downloaded & applied SP2 to the machine?

If not it's possible that you have picked up some kind of infection that's chewing up Clock Cycles of the CPU and slowing your NB right down to a crawl.

Before you ever connect to the Internet you should install a working AV Product and then update it as the very first thing that you ever do On Line and you should remain safe. Even trusted sites can be attacked and be infected.

You can try running both AV & Spy Ware Scans but I honestly think that you'll be better off wiping the HDD and doing a clean install of the OS and your required Drivers & Programs. You can find a wiping utility here

http://tinyurl.com/4rfur

Whenever you reload XP it's always safer not to activate till you know that you have a working system as if you Activate too often it brings up a Flag at MS and you'll at the very least have to ring them to get an activation code as you'll be unable to reactivate over the Internet.

Col

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)