General discussion

Print Search results - windows 2000/XP

By vans ·
Can the results of a search be redirected to a file, saved, or printed. The only way I know of is to copy a screen at a time to the clipboard ([Print Screen] key) and past to an editor. For example: I want a list of all the picture file (*.jpg) locations on the server, so I can place them in structured project directories, or remove them if they're obsolete.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by carlos.nino In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

You can do it from DOS. It won't look as cool it would with Windows, but it works.
Creat a .txt file where you want, and at DOS prompt type dir whatever you want to list >nameoftxt.txt
For example, if I create 1.txt in my c:\, and I go to DOS, and in c I type dir *.*/s >1.txt, I will get a list of all files and directories written in that 1.txt file.

Collapse -

by vans In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

I am looking to keep the data of a "file Search". I frequently use the DOS redirect directive ">" with the "dir" command to dump to a file. But with over 100,000 files in my engineering directory, I need to filter out only the "*.jpg" files, which will be only a few hundred files. Is there a search or filter DOS command, to use with the ?Dir? command.

Collapse -

by john_wills In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

basing myself on Carlos,
dir *.jpg/s >1.txt

Collapse -

by mainprized In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

dir *.jpg /s>xx.txt should work at its most basic. this will find all the jpg files from the current directory and all sug directories. If you try the above from the cmd prompt then using the your mouse in the normal way (left button and drag bottom right to top left) you can then right click where the cmd icon is and senect "Edit" "Copy" and then paste it into a text editor.

Dave

Collapse -

by vans In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

Thank's
dir *.jpg /s/b>pic_in_eng.txt did the trick. The "Find command" is what I was looking for and the answers helped me find it.
For other readers; to mimic the search command:
dir /s/b | find "LOG" > loglist.txt
This stores the names of files that contain the string "LOG" to the file ?loglist.txt?. See windows help, redirect & find.

Collapse -

Sysexporter

by 1bn0 In reply to Print Search results - wi ...

This article was the second search result in google.

The first result lead to SysExporter.

"SysExporter utility allows you to grab the data stored in standard list-views, tree-views, list boxes, and combo boxes from almost any application running on your system, and export it to text, HTML or XML file."

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm

I am adding this reply for anyone else who may be looking for the same thing.

Back to Community Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)