Question

Problem - printing envelopes with Word 2003 on Brother DCP 7020 printer

By pwhitney1 ·
Issue:
-new HP Pavilion running Vista
-decided to stick with Microsoft Office Word 2003 until employer switches to Vista
-new printer - Brother DCP 7020
-problem -unable to print envelopes with mailing and return address in correct location and in font I specify - mailing address up at top of envelope or cut off, a hazy version of mailing address appears to left, & return address does not apper
-Word 2003 clear on how to set up envelope and spacing. Worked with a previous HP printer. But even changes in settings not picked up by Brother DCP 7020 printer.
-I BELIEVE THERE IS COMPATIBILITY ISSUE BET WORD 2003 AND BROTHER DCP 7020 but for life of me I can't seem to find any one who can help.
-wrote and called Brother and Microsoft "tecnicians". They were unable to help.

Thank you,

Peter Whitney

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: Problem printing envelopes

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Problem - printing envelo ...

It could be printer driver problems, especially with Vista. Rmember, XP drivers won't necessarily work on Vista. If Brother has not yet put out Vista drivers for that printer, you may be out of luck for now. But try this first and see if it works.

First, go into Envelopes and Letters and then click Options. Write down the size of envelope you have chosen to use in your previous attempts.

Now, in a new document, go to File -> Page Setup. Instead of plain paper, select the SAME envelope for paper size, set the margins to about 1/2 inch (if it will take it), Lanscape, and change the Multiple Pages option to Normal. Then click OK all the way out.

Address the document as if you were addressing an envelope and try printing it. If it works there, then the envelopes portion of your installation of Word is corrupt. You might try Detect and Repair to see if that helps.

Also check MS Updates to be sure you have ALL patches applied for Office and Vista both.

Collapse -

Thank you, but finally got another printer

by pwhitney1 In reply to re: Problem printing enve ...

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. I tried your suggestion but it did not work. After trying several work arounds and contacting Brother - no solution there - I took the printer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy where I bought the printer. They tried many things and thought they could fix it but could not. The recommended returning the printer. I did. Research on web suggested the Cannon Laser image class mf4270 would suit my requirements. It was only available at Staples. A technician there agreed to test it in the store before I bought it since I did not want to repeat what happened. He did, it worked, and I am pleased with the Canon MF 4270.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)