Web Development



Query - SQL/ Ms Access

By solshakdwn ·
does anyone have an idea how to change short names to full name using a query or other tool to change database names e.g. Dan - Daniel, bill - William.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -


by john.a.wills In reply to Query - SQL/ Ms Access

The decode function should do it, although you'd have a great big list of shortened versions and full versions to put in. Also, 'Dan' is not always an abbreviation for 'Daniel', it can be a name in its own right - as well as being a short form of Danielle or Daniela. I think your problem is really unsolvable, because information is lost in the act of abbreviation.

Related Discussions

Related Forums