General discussion

RAS on W2K, 'error 691', NT domain

By tsns011 ·
I am trying to successfully configure RAS on a Win2000 Server which is a member server within an existing (single) NT domain and is replacing the original RAS NT server which is working; due to corporate policy, the domain can not be upgraded to 2000 at this time;
Problem: whenever dialing in, 'error 691' occurs
Steps taken: given user dialin rights on RAS and remote PC; reduced all security configs on RAS and remote to minimum; verified user/password syntax entries; RAS server displayed inbrowser and present in domain; TCP/IP only protocol on systems; assigned static IP address for remote; tried using RAS server DHCP service; tried using domain DHCP address assignment; modems on both sides are W2K compatible; remote modem successfully connecting to RAS; tried different users and remote PC's; verified DNS & WINS configs on remote and RAS; tried using original RAS IP address (with original offline); searched Microsoft's site and Web for resolution unsuccessfully;
What am I missing? (prostrate and humbled)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cul8rm8e In reply to RAS on W2K, 'error 691', ...

error 691 deffinately got to do with username/password.

i would double check all rights for access to server for this.

hope this helps!

Collapse -

by tsns011 In reply to RAS on W2K, 'error 691', ...

thanks for the response...the problem ended up being as a result of choosing the RAS server in question as 'this computer' in the 'RRAS Wizard'...the result was that the RAS server was considered as a local entity and would not apply 'domain' attributes and access thereof...consequently, no matter how 'correct' all my configurations appeared to be, success was not to be...the problem was discovered after deleting and reinstalling the server using the wizard numerous times trying different config. options, finally determining the cause of the problem....prior to submitting this request for assistance, I had already researched all these generously offered suggestions to no avail since the cause of the problem would prevent any resolutionshort of reinstalling the server correctly...thanks again

Collapse -

by RickB93 In reply to RAS on W2K, 'error 691', ...

According to Microsoft TechNet -
RAS Authentication Does Not Work Connecting to RRAS Server (Q191854)

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Routing and Remote Access Service Update for Windows NT Server version 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 , Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 , Professional

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to connect your Windows 2000-based computer by using Remote Access Server (RAS) to a Windows NT Server 4.0-based computer that uses Routing and Remote Access Service Update (RRAS), you may receive error messages.

The Windows 2000-based computer displays the following error message when it cannot establish a connection:

Retrying authentication...
Error 691: Access denied because username and/or password is invalid on the domain.

The Windows NT Server 4.0-based computer logs the following error messages in the system log:

Event I 20014
Source: Router
Type: Warning
Description: The user %Name% has connected and failed to authenticate on port %Name%. The line has been disconnected.
Event I 20049
Source: Router
Type: Warning
Description: The user connected to port %Name% has been disconnected due to an authentication timeout.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, obtain the latest service pack for Windows NT version 4.0. For additional information, please see the following article(s) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q152734 How to Obtain the Latest Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0. This problem was first corrected in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4.

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information pleasesee the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Published Feb 8 1999

Collapse -

thanks for the response...the problem ended up being as a result of choosing the RAS server in question as 'this computer' in the 'RRAS Wizard'...the result was that the RAS server was considered as a local entity and would not apply 'domain' attributes and access thereof...consequently, no matter how 'correct' all my configurations appeared to be, success was not to be...the problem was discovered after deleting and reinstalling the server using the wizard numerous times trying different config. options, finally determining the cause of the problem....prior to submitting this request for assistance, I had already researched all these generously offered suggestions to no avail since the cause of the problem would prevent any resolution short of reinstalling the server correctly...thanks again

Collapse -

by quintar51 In reply to RAS on W2K, 'error 691', ...

www.modemhelp.net for a complete listing of RAS errors

Collapse -

thanks for the response...the problem ended up being as a result of choosing the RAS server in question as 'this computer' in the 'RRAS Wizard'...the result was that the RAS server was considered as a local entity and would not apply 'domain'attributes and access thereof...consequently, no matter how 'correct' all my configurations appeared to be, success was not to be...the problem was discovered after deleting and reinstalling the server using the wizard numerous times trying different config. options, finally determining the cause of the problem....prior to submitting this request for assistance, I had already researched all these generously offered suggestions to no avail since the cause of the problem would prevent any resolution short of reinstalling the server correctly...thanks again

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)