General discussion

Recover Shortcut Associations-Win 2000

By makitel ·
I am a windows 2000 user. I have recently lost all my shortcut associations, on the desktop, startup, quick launch, and in my programs folder in the start menu. Nothing works

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by advancedlogic In reply to Recover Shortcut Associat ...

did you try creating a new user?

Collapse -

by advancedlogic In reply to

try to run command.com and sfc /scannow you might have missing dll's

Collapse -

by makitel In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by makitel In reply to Recover Shortcut Associat ...

Yes I have and I get the same problem

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Recover Shortcut Associat ...

Sounds like you messed up your user profile stored in documents & settings. So what were you doing when you lost all the shortcuts?

One possible solution is you can recreate the shortcuts by finding the .exe file for the program you want, right click the executable and choose create shortcut. then drag and drop to the desktop.

Another possible solution is you could try loading up the right profile from the user profiles in the advance tab of system properties.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

if the executable file are disassociated with the program they are intended to run e.g. C:\program files\msword.exe, and running the msword.exe file will not launch msword, you've got a major problem that I don't think can be fixed without a reinstall. you could try a repair install using the CD for the O/S but IMHO backup whatever files [folders] you can from the drive and reinstall.

Collapse -

by makitel In reply to

Collapse -

by YetAnotherAdmin In reply to Recover Shortcut Associat ...

If the same thing happened when you created a new user the All users profile may be corrupt. c:\documents and settings\all users
check the shortcuts in the desktop and start menu folders, you may have to re-create them all.

Collapse -

by makitel In reply to

Collapse -

by makitel In reply to Recover Shortcut Associat ...

No matter what profile I use I get the same results. Since I first wrote this question I have found 2 other problems. The .exe's are disassociated. And nothing is accessible throu the control panel.
I have ran an on-line virus scan through Trend Micro and had no negative findings. I am going to try to do a re-install of my Adaware PRO and see if re-installing is helpful.
As far as knowing if I did anything wrong, I do not. My computer was left on for the weekend. I came in this morning and these issues developed during that time.

Back to Windows Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next