General discussion

Removal of Ex 5.5 from Ex 2003 Env

By stuart.truman ·
We recently had a 5.5/2003 mixed environment so we could migrate all users over to the 2003 exchange server. All the users have been migrated and the Ex 2003 server has been setup with the connectors and is the main emailing server. We now need to remove the old Ex 5.5 server from the group of servers. Ordinarily I would have right clicked on the server in the Exchange System Administrator and selected to remove the server. However. The server is no longer running, it was rebuilt before the Ex 5.5 was removed from the server group. So we have our old server still set as a email server in the domain. But cannot remove it!!

I want to remove this old server from the domain but cannot the traditonal way. How can I remove it?

Many Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zaferus In reply to Removal of Ex 5.5 from Ex ...

Ouch! By wiping your Exchange 5.5 box before removal you've bypassed an important part of the deconversion process.

I would recommend you keep safe on this. Get your companies credit card and call Microsoft and open a ticket. This is too important not to get them involved as it likely will involve system level editing to correct.

Make sure you take solid full backups before and after.

Collapse -

by stuart.truman In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by stuart.truman In reply to Removal of Ex 5.5 from Ex ...

I understand that this was an error but for example's sake, this situation could have occured if the server had an unrecoverable crash. Surly there must be a way to do this that someone else has experienced?

Collapse -

Hmm, this looks promising:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q328668

Anyone used ANSI Edit? Any recommendations?

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)