General discussion

RS232 emulator for USB

By ozi Eagle ·
Hi,

My problem is that I've got an USB device that needs to talk to an application that only will talk to a serial (RS232) device.
Is there any software out there that will fool an applicayion into thinking that an USB port is a serial port?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to RS232 emulator for USB

Not with "just" software.

The USB and Rs-232 protocols are different enough to require an interface converter.

The good news is that Black Box does offer 1.

"USB Director RS-232 (Single-Port)
Here?s a handy way to turn your USB port into a high-speed serial port."

The bad news is that the way their web page is structured, I cannot provide a direct link.

http://www.blackbox.com/

From the main page, select products and follow along from there.

I am sure that there are other sources that would sell an interface converter for less.

Chas

Collapse -

by ozi Eagle In reply to

HiChas,
Thanks for your answer.
I am aware of devices that plug into an USB port and then look like an RS232 port for a serial device.

My problem is that I have an application that will only accept a serial device, whilst I have an USB device, that I want to use with this application, hence the need for software to make the application think it is talking to a serial devic.e

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to RS232 emulator for USB

Before you just hack an answer you should look into the suggestion a little.

The device that was suggested is a usb to serial device.

To all hardware and software the dang thing is A SERIAL PORT.

You don't have to fool anything. You don't have to guess. It looks like, acts like, smells like, a serial port.

I have them in use where customers have upgraded the computer and refuse to upgrade the out devices.

Lee

Collapse -

by ozi Eagle In reply to

Unfortunately the software with USB -Serial converter only kicks in when the dongle is inserted in a USB port, giving a serial connector. Plugging a USB device in does not activate the software.

Collapse -

by ozi Eagle In reply to RS232 emulator for USB

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)