General discussion

Running Project 98 with Windows 2000

By emwarrenfeltz ·
My software supplier informed me that MS Project 98 is listed on the compatibility list for Windows 2000 Professional. But for some unknown reason I cannot get the software to install. I have tried it on two different systems running W2K with the same results.

The install process starts, CD key is asked for and entered, directory selection is listed and accepted, then the install process fails with no hints or clues as to what happened. I get a dialog box at the end saying "Microsoft Project 98 was not setup successfully' with an 'OK' button and nothing else.

I used the same disk to install on a Win NT 4 system and had no installation problems. Neither system had Project installed before, so it is not an upgrade situaiton, first time install.

Anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Feature

by timwalsh In reply to Running Project 98 with W ...

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that you were not logged onto the computer with administrative privilieges when you tried to install Project. Win2K is a bit more finicky with this "feature" than WinNT was. Try it again with Administrator privileges.

Back to Community Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)