General discussion

Runtime error 2486 in Access 2000

By M_Ozog ·
I am having trouble at a client site running an Access 2000 application. I have an app and a data file. both are placed on a network drive. Everything works fine at my office but when I take it to the client it gives me an error #2486 stating that it can't perform tthat operation at this time.

The office and client sites are similar set-up: Win 98 2nd Ed., Access 2000 with SR-1a, 128 MB RAM.

I can open up the form with the records that get updated with no problems. When I open up the reports switchboard is when the problems start. In the On Open I have it determing the start and end dates for the reports. They are based on the fiscal year running July 1 to June 30.

Can anybody help, or at least lead me in a direction to findthe answer?

Any assistance would be helpful at this time.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Runtime error 2486 in Acc ...

It sounds as though your clint might be missing a DLL somewhere. Run a Name list of your Directory (*.DLL) sorted in alphabetical order and carry it to the client's office and do a comparison to find the missing culprit. - good luck!

Collapse -

by M_Ozog In reply to Runtime error 2486 in Acc ...

How do I determine what DLL's are being used by my program. I have over 1,200 DLLs under the Windows directory.

Collapse -

by Bob Sellman In reply to Runtime error 2486 in Acc ...

It sounds like something was not installed at the client's machine that was installed at yours. Very likely it is one or more of the optional items that are available during the install process. A re-installation that doesn't just include the default items, but includes some of the "extras" might solve the problem.

I assume from your question that you have tracked the problem down to point where your are running the functions where you are selecting the start and end dates. If this is thecase, whatever function you are using may not be installed as the part of the basic default installation and the re-installation as mentioned above should solve the problem. I assume that you don't have any added functions/ActiveX controls from other vendors installed on your development computer (that are not installed on the client's computer).

If you're not sure where the problem is happening, just put some message boxes in the code where you suspect the problem is occurring until you find the problem code.

I seem to recall running into a similar problem with date functions that required a re-install with some non-default functions selected for inclusion in the install.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tjc In reply to Runtime error 2486 in Acc ...

Rename the DAO directory in the c:\program files\microsoft shared\dao and then reinstall access. You have one of two things happening. One being a diffrent version of the dao out there.

The second would be that something that should be registed got unregistered or removed or if something else got isntalled it may have placed an older dll or activex component that your custom program may need.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

Thank you all for attemting to answer my question. It appears that my problem is a result of Windows 98 client, Novell network, and Access 2000 incompatibility.

My data was stored on Novell's main login drive. When I moved the data to another drive, the problem cleared up.

Still not sure why.

Back to Web Development Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)