General discussion

Runtime Error 430 in Client After Server

By TomSal ·
I have a unique problem here. First off, please don't refer me to the Microsoft Knowledge base - we already tried their solutions to this problem and they didn't work.

On of our programmers has written a VB 6.0 program that , after it is packaged, when you tried to install it on the Win95/98 client the following error is produced:

"Run-time Error '430':Class does not support
Automation or does not
support expected interface."

The weird thing is this (besides the fact that Microsoft'sknowledge base is no help) she told me the program works fine on any Windows 98: SE computer, but not on Win95 or Win 98 (non-SE) computers.

I'm not a programmer, it fell in my lap because I'm the tech support guy.

any help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by iretz In reply to Runtime Error 430 in Clie ...

You might have a newer component that is not compatible with an older client? I included some text from MSDN Library dealing with Binary Compatibility. Is this the first time you are installing your package on the client(s) that are bombing?

Ifyou’ve selected the Binary Compatibility option, Visual Basic warns you when you’re about to compile an incompatible version of your component. You can reverse the edits that would make your component incompatible, or change the file name and Project Name so that the new version will not replace the old when users run Setup.

If you choose to disregard the warnings and compile an incompatible version of your component with the same file name and Project Name, Visual Basic may dumpsome of the interface IDs from previous versions of your component.

When the incompatible component is installed on a computer that has a client application compiled using an earlier version, it will overwrite the earlier version. Subsequently, when the client applic

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Runtime Error 430 in Clie ...
Collapse -

by mnjohnson In reply to Runtime Error 430 in Clie ...

I think the previous post pointed you in the right direction. Try unregistering the VB executable and re-registering it. I'm a bit confused by your post, though. Are you getting this error during the install of the program? If this is the case, the only thing I can think of (and I'm grasping here) is that you do not have DCOM installed on the client machine - If I remember correctly, DCOM is not installed in the default install of 95

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Runtime Error 430 in Clie ...
Back to Web Development Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)