Question

Saving datagrid data changes in vb 2008

By beverard ·
I have a datagrid linked to tableadapter that is using a stored procedure to find records (start date and end date are passed up). Works like a champ, but I cannot seem to find a way to save changes made to the datagrid data.

Me.TblReceiveTableAdapter.Update(DataSet1)

When I make a change (I am using enter as my event) I get a message that "Update requires a valid UpdateCommand when passed DataRow collection with modified rows.

The entire message to the clipboard reads:

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
Message="Update requires a valid UpdateCommand when passed DataRow collection with modified rows."
Source="System.Data"
StackTrace:
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatedRowStatusErrors(RowUpdatedEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, BatchCommandInfo[] batchCommands, Int32 commandCount) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatedRowStatus(RowUpdatedEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, BatchCommandInfo[] batchCommands, Int32 commandCount) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdateFromDataTable(DataTable dataTable, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) at NewViewReceive.DataSet1TableAdapters.tblReceiveTableAdapter.Update(DataSet1 dataSet) in C:\Documents and Settings\brucee05\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\NewestKeep\NewViewReceive\NewViewReceive\DataSet1.Designer.vb:line 1273 at NewViewReceive.frmViewReceive.TblReceiveDataGridView_CellContentClick(Object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\brucee05\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\NewestKeep\NewViewReceive\NewViewReceive\Form1.vb:line 87 at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellEnter(DataGridViewCellEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellEnter(DataGridViewCell& dataGridViewCell, Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.SetCurrentCellAddressCore(Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex, Boolean setAnchorCellAddress, Boolean validateCurrentCell, Boolean throughMouseClick) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ProcessDownKeyInternal(Keys keyData, Boolean& moved) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ProcessEnterKey(Keys keyData) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ProcessDataGridViewKey(KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun() at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel() at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine) at NewViewReceive.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81 at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args) at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args) at System.Runtime.Hosting.ManifestRunner.Run(Boolean checkAptModel) at System.Runtime.Hosting.ManifestRunner.ExecuteAsAssembly() at System.Runtime.Hosting.ApplicationActivator.CreateInstance(ActivationContext activationContext, String[] activationCustomData) at System.Runtime.Hosting.ApplicationActivator.CreateInstance(ActivationContext activationContext) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssemblyDebugInZone() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
InnerException:

I am new to vb 2008, and dragged the datagrid from the Data Sources window. When I set up the data source the Wizard results said that I had generated Select, Insert table mappings Fill, get and update.

Please help, where am I missing things?

Thanks,

Bruce

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

If you are populating with a stored procedure

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Saving datagrid data chan ...

The required SQL for update insert and delete can't be auto generated.

SP_getMyStuff(10)

The code that consumes the result can't ans shouldn't know anything about how it's generated.

The datadapter class has three properties InsertCommand, UpdateCommand and Delete Command.

You can put straight SQL in them or calls to three suitable procedures.

HtHs

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)