Question

SharePoint 2007

By vern1271 ·
My company wants to setup a intranet portal for employees that can be accessed from the office (use Active directory for access) and from the internet...here is where I need help...they also want to set up multiple smaller sites that will be attached to the intranet site where clients and partners can download or upload information. Is this possible or should they all be separate sharepoint sites?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I think I know somebody that might help. Oh Steffi!!!

by daveo2000 In reply to SharePoint 2007

I will forward this link to Steffi who is our local SP07 hack. No, we aren't TR reps, just plain folks.

Collapse -

Oh my knowledge is infamous!!

by Steffi28 In reply to SharePoint 2007

From what I understand that you want, it does require different SharePoint sites, and by this I dont mean different sites under the same main site (I dont think thats what you meant either,just trying to clarify myself) this should be easy enough to do by just adding different ports the the site when creating a site in WSS, eg, ~site:81 ~site:82 and so on meaning you wont need more than one copy of SharePoint and you wont need more than one server to run it on either.

I hope I've cleared this up a bit for you, but if you need any more information just ask

Collapse -

Now, for the DNS side...

by daveo2000 In reply to Oh my knowledge is infamo ...

I believe that you can also set this up as all standard port 80 stuff by using port forwarding on a router/firewall. Hide the SharePoint server behind a port forwarding firewall and map different URLs to the various ~site:ports on the SharePoint server.

Sound like a plan (or a mess?)

Collapse -

Eh??

by Steffi28 In reply to Now, for the DNS side...

You lost me after the words port forwarding ? Maybe he knows what your talking about though!

Collapse -

It is more computer magic (but I used the wrong term)

by daveo2000 In reply to Eh??

Oops. I meant proxy server and not port forwarder.

Port forwarding simply takes the packtes that arrive on one IP address on a specific port and forwards them to another IP address on (possibly) another port. This is usually used to put a web server behind a firewall.

A proxy server can take requests to a URL and forward them to other URLs with other ports.

Do you want a deeper explanation on that?

Collapse -

OK I think I understand that

by Steffi28 In reply to It is more computer magic ...

But I think it's still way over my head

Collapse -

I expect it is less of being over your head

by daveo2000 In reply to OK I think I understand t ...

and more in not being in your area of interest. It is amazing what we can learn when we have to! :)

Collapse -

Yeah

by Steffi28 In reply to I expect it is less of be ...

This time 6 months ago theres no way I would of been able to answer that question at all, or even slightly get a grasp of what your saying, so maybe I just have to carry on with the learning :)

Collapse -

Thanks Steffi28!

by vern1271 In reply to Oh my knowledge is infamo ...

Thanks, I was lost in a sea of Microsoft jargon and wasn't sure I could implement all this in ONE site collection. The question comes down to access & security. Our employees will be set up through active directory for the intranet side, but how do I keep partners and customers from getting to these? The customer sites will only be used for implementations (we provide Human Resource & Payroll software) and once done, the site will be deleted. So there will be several of these going at once...all the time. The other site is strictly for partners that sell our products for us. They need to be able to download spec sheets, images, or whatever. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Collapse -

don't forget to give Steffi a "Thumbs Up" for her help!

by daveo2000 In reply to Thanks Steffi28!

Folks here get a private thrill from getting a "thumbs up" vote when they answer questions. Steffi is still a virgin (in this territory) and is looking longingly towards her first vote.

Back to Software Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next