General discussion

Single sent email delivered 100+ times?!

By pbtoms ·
I have a user in a remote office using Outlook 2000 with POP3 connection to our Exchange 5.5 server in this office. He sent a "reply to all" email, and is getting complaints from several people on that list that they are getting that email message repeatedly. It's apparently into the hundreds now. I have asked him to turn off his computer (reboot didn't seem to fix it), and restarted the internet mail service on the server. Waiting to hear if the multiple copies have stopped. Any idea what could have caused this, how to stop it, how to prevent it from happening again? It's not sending multiple copies of all of his emails (I had him send a few to me, and only got one of each), nor is it doing it to anyone else. The 14 attorneys who are being effectively shut down by this flood are pretty annoyed, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Single sent email deliver ...

Are these 14 lawyers in multiple distribution lists?

If they are, this could explain the issue, since the test messages do not appear to generate the issue.

I have worked in law offices and I am well aware how the attorneys like to be in every mail group available. (grin)

Collapse -

by pbtoms In reply to

Wasn't sent to a distribution list, and involved several others in other offices. Thanks, though!
Actually, you were close. Turns out two of the people the original email was sent to worked at the same firm, and one was out that week, and they had some kind of forwarding rule set up that went wacky and started a loop. Had to get their ISP involved to shut it down.

Collapse -

by pbtoms In reply to Single sent email deliver ...

It wasn't a distribution list, it was a "reply to all" on an email that went to various people from several different firms. Multiple distribution lists might explain getting a few copies (we have had that happen internally), but it wouldn't explain several hundred, would it?

Collapse -

It appears that he stopped sending the emails after shutting down and restarting. There are a couple of other people on that list who seem to have sent 3 or 4 copies of an email, also. Looks like some kind of bizarre loop got started. Still stumped. It seems to be fixed now, but I'm still very interested in what happened, so we can avoid it in the future...

Collapse -

by adrianmartinez In reply to Single sent email deliver ...

Without having all the details and knowing all the variables, it sounds like it could be a server timeout issue. Here are instructions for Outlook 2000/2003.

Hope this helps.

On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
In the list, click the e-mail account that you want, and then click Change.
Click More Settings, and then click the Advanced tab.
To increase the maximum time duration for e-mail server connections, under Server Timeouts, drag the slider control.
Click OK.
Click Next, and then click Finish.

Increase the server time-out limit
On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
In the list, click the e-mail account that you want, and then click Change.
Click More Settings, and then click the Advanced tab.
To increase the maximum time duration for e-mail server connections, under Server Timeouts, drag the slider control.
Click OK.
Click Next, and then click Finish.

Collapse -

by pbtoms In reply to

Not the problem, but good to know. Appreciate the advice.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)