General discussion

Sorting Contact List - Outlook 2002

By C_Hyskell ·
I recently installed WIN XP Home on my computer. I imported my Outlook .pst file from Outlook 98 into Outlook 2002. Everything works fine except the sorting of the contacts list that appears when I click the "To..." button. The old list was sorted by last name, first name. Now the list sorts by first name, and contains multiple, identical entries. It displays just the first and last name and doesn't display if the entry is linked to an e-mail address, fax number, or other information. Forexample, the list might have two "John Smith" entries. The name is all that is displayed, but one is linked to an e-mail address and the other is linked to a fax number.
In the "File As" drop down box in the contact properties dialog box, I have selected last name, then first name.

How do I get it to display only e-mail address and sorted by last name, then first name?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by swomack In reply to Sorting Contact List - O ...

I found this info sometime ago via a search in the Q&A:

Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.
One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.
Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is simply not to enter data in the fax fields or put the fax number in a custom or some other field.

To get the address book to display by last name first I found this at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/ordcont.htm

For Outlook 2002:

Choose Tools | E-mail Accounts.
Select View or change existing directories or address books, and then click Next.
Select Outlook Address Book, and then click Change.
Under Show names by, choose First Last or File As.

This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

Collapse -

by C_Hyskell In reply to Sorting Contact List - O ...

The answer was absolutely correct, and best of all, it worked!I found the answer in the Knowledge base after I'd posted the question, too.

Collapse -

by C_Hyskell In reply to Sorting Contact List - O ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)