General discussion

SP 6a and Access 2000

By mluck ·
Problem:
Slow opening (approx 60 sec) of an Access Database form (in design mode only) from NT 4 sp6a workstation when database is on a network server. All other aspects of database (i.e. table, forms) worked fine - only DESIGN mode was slow.

Investigation:
Via testing it was determined that the problem was related to the NT SP level of the workstation and server. If the wks was SP 6a and the Server was SP 4 or 3 (not tested on other SP levels) then the problem would occur. If Server was upgraded to SP6a then problem stopped. This was repeatable and confirmed on various wks/server combinations. Note: this did not happen in reverse: if the Wks was SP4 and server was SP6a, then all was OK. Also: Install of Office SR1 had no impact
Question:
Has anyone else seen this? if so, what may be the actual technical reason for the problem? Obvious solution is to upgraded servers to SP6a, but I would like to know what is happening and possibly if there is another solution such as reghack

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

SP 6a and Access 2000

by DC1 In reply to SP 6a and Access 2000

Check out the readme for 6a. There have been alot of updates to protocols,etc. and maybe it is a timing issue between the two boxes.

Collapse -

SP 6a and Access 2000

by mluck In reply to SP 6a and Access 2000

I know this is probably a tough one to answer directly, but thanks for the tip. I didn't even consider the readme file - too obvious I guess :-)

Thanks!

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)