Question

Speedtouch modem router 576

By ACraig4678 ·
Hi,
I asked AOL Tech for advice on how to change my security key for WEP and they told me how to do it. However when I did go to Sppedtouch and then Wireless, password the password WEP key which came up was the WEP key on the actual router itself? Is this ok and is it secure? Do all routers have different WEP keys?
My sons Apple laptop stopped working yesterday and when he tried to key in the router code which we will all use his computer wont accept?
Any suggestions folks? Thanks
Alex

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

To change the WEP Key you have to go into the Router

by OH Smeg In reply to Speedtouch modem router 5 ...

And physically change it there. This should be under the Wireless Setup and you generally have to save the changes by restarting the Router. If you went in to the Routers Setup Procedure through a Web Browser HTTP Address you may have inadvertently made other changes other than just the WEP Key. So in an attempt to answer your Questions as you asked them

However when I did go to Sppedtouch and then Wireless, password the password WEP key which came up was the WEP key on the actual router itself?

This is correct the Password needs to be set in the Router as that is what hands out the SSID Addresses so that other computers can log in Wirelessly. the WEP Key actually Allows the connection to proceed.

Do all routers have different WEP keys?

NO different Brand use different WEP Keys but if you where to have 2 identical Make & Model Routers side by side you would find that both have the Same User Name, Password and WEP Key. Unless one was to come from a ISP who has struck a deal with this Hardware maker to supply special Devices to them. In that case they will come with the ISP's WEP Key. It may be possible that different models from the same maker employ different WEP Keys but this isn't common.

My sons Apple laptop stopped working yesterday and when he tried to key in the router code which we will all use his computer wont accept?

This is probably because you made changes limiting the number of concurrent Connections that the Wireless Device allows. Say you set this number to 1 and your Son was the second Person to attempt to log in the Router would refuse the Connection till the first one logs off then it should deb accepted by the Router.

Try going back to the Setup Procedure and altering the PASSPHRASE in the Routers Wireless Security Panel and up the number of Concurrent Wireless Connections that the Router will allow. Do not forget to save the changes when you exit however. :)

Col

Back to Laptops Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)