General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

The other 2004 election winner: Osama bin Laden

by aldanatech ·

Now that the elections are over, let’s look at one of the other winners: Osama bin Laden. The president’s champions can bray all they want about how Bush understands the central issue of our time ? that we’re fighting World War IV against Islamic fascism ? but the fact remains that, three years after 9/11, bin Laden is issuing tapes mocking the president, America’s emergency services still aren’t prepared for another attack, and the war on terror has taken a disastrous detour into Iraq. Unable to conceive of fighting militant Islam with anything other than guns, Bush and his “you are either for us or against us” manner have turned much of the non-Islamic world fervently against the U.S. You can only imagine how much stronger these feelings are in the Islamic world. On Election Day, bin Laden’s dream came true: America re-elected his greatest recruiting tool.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Oh please

by jamesrl ·

In reply to The other 2004 election winner: Osama bin Laden

I didn’t agree with Bush on Iraq, but neither did I hear from Kerry any good ideas on how to resolve it or how to stop bin Laden.

If you have some great ideas, go on spill them. I am truly interested.

If all you can do is be a one note song – then what is the point.

James

Dude, you need to get a grip

by nd_it ·

If all your going to do is dwell on this election, you have no hope for the future. Most people, except the select few like yourself and Bucky can’t seem to get past that. Get over it, it’s over, time to start looking ahead, not backward.

Yep and in two years time

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Dude, you need to get a grip

It will all start over again but this time with different players, but there will be one certainty.

Whoever is in the running will be a Politician and you get 2 years of “cam paining” till your next election.

How in God’s name do you put up with all this election running and coverage?

Col

Hell, they already talking about 2 years from now

by nd_it ·

In reply to Yep and in two years time

How do we put up with it? We just hit the off button on the TV or skip reading the news sites on the web, but we are never going to get away from it, it’s always going to be here, might as well accept that.

Osama bin Laden campaigned for Kerry

by maxwell edison ·

Are you suggesting that Osama bin Laden was acting on behalf of the best interests of the American people? Are you serious?

In the “October Surprise” video (or so it’s been called) released by Osama bin Laden, he clearly threatened more violence against Americans if they voted for George Bush. It was a friggin’ campaign video designed to help John Kerry win.

Unfortunately for both bin Laden and Kerry, most Americans didn’t buy it. In fact, it probably HELPED the Bush campaign just like the Michael Moore movie helped; just like the Dan Rather-gate ploy helped the Bush campaign; just like all the other “hate speech” helped the Bush campaign.

Osama bin Laden, although he is still (apparently) alive, is literally getting his ass kicked. He can’t show his ugly face outside the dismal cave in Pakistan (or Iran) in which he’s hiding; a large percentage of his “officers” have been killed or captured; his merry gang of thugs who swarmed to Iraq are learning what a U.S. Marine is really made of; dozens (or hundreds) of additional terrorist attempts have been thwarted; and he knows that he will eventually either be killed or is destined to live the rest of his miserable life as a reclusive and barbaric troglodyte.

And if you want to know how things are really going in Iraq, instead of listening to your democrat underground sources or Katie Couric, you should listen to Marine Lt. General Michael DeLong or Army General Tommy Franks.

And you dare to suggest that “America’s emergency services still aren’t prepared for another attack”? Oh really? On what authority do you presume to make such a ludicrous claim? And on what authority can you accurately determine and declare the number of terrorist attempts that have been intercepted and/or thwarted? I’ll give you a hint, there has been more than one and less than a thousand terror attempts on American soil stopped before it happened. How is that not prepared? Go back to September 12, 2001, and remember all the predictions of more terror attacks on American soil in the coming months or years; remember the predictions of terror attacks designed to disrupt our election. Were they not attempted, or were they attempted but thwarted? I assure you, my friend, it’s more likely that it was the latter.

Now get over it. Your guy lost. And you should just get on with your life.

Well said

by garion11 ·

In reply to Osama bin Laden campaigned for Kerry

It is unbelievable that these people can’t get past the results. I dunno whether to laugh or feel sorry for these loonies.

No space for a little fun these days any more

by aldanatech ·

In reply to Osama bin Laden campaigned for Kerry

Gee Max, I didn’t expect you would take this so seriously. What I’m trying to do is take a little time to kick back and relax now that the elections are over; but it seems that we no longer have space for a little fun these days. As for the Bin Laden video, keep in mind that he was not actually endorsing either candidate. He explicitly said that our security in not on the hands on either one of them, and that we would not see another Manhattan if we just stop supporting Israel and not threat their religion. As for Iraq, I don’t actually check any of the democrat underground sources. In fact, I don’t even know who Katie Couric is. For that I just check the news. Now, why do I dare to suggest that “America’s emergency services still aren’t prepared for another attack”? Well, just a few days ago, a guy passed over security at ground zero and killed himself as a way to protest against Bush’s re-election.

Ahhhh … so that’s what happened to WWIII

by g.brown ·

In reply to No space for a little fun these days any more

Yeah, don’t sweat it 🙂

I found it funny (well the knee jerk … neo-con type responses anyway).

LOL, I mean, we all know the kind of stuff that the likes of Marine Lt. General Michael DeLong or Army General Tommy Franks generally come up with.

I remember when the reporters were in Iraq pre-war and saying on the tv report that they are under the local “reporting restrictions” from the Baathists.

And, now whenever you see an embedded type reporter they always start off with something like “under reporting restrictions”.

I just call it …. propoganda!!

Yea, Right – You Were “Joking”

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to No space for a little fun these days any more

I suppose that’s why you continued to defend your ludicrous statements.

You cite a guy blowing his own brains out in New York City as proof that “America’s emergency services still aren’t prepared for another attack”? That’s a bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

Is there security at the site of the fallen WTC towers? Maybe a construction company security guard or two. Now if he did the deed in the hallway outside the oval office, you might have a point. But he did it at the location of the number one tourist destination in New York. Hundreds of people flock there every day. Thousands of people go there every week. Sidewalk vendors sell souvenirs and brats. Some go to pay tribute; some go to gawk; and one guy went to blow his brains out. So what’s your point?

Then perhaps you can explain the missing tons of explosives

by aldanatech ·

In reply to Yea, Right – You Were “Joking”

As for the guy in the fallen WTC towers, that was just a minor example. My major concern is the 380 tons of explosives that the administration failed to secure in Iraq. Why weren’t they properly secured? Aren’t you concerned that they will be used either on our troops out there or even in here in American soil?

Oh Come on…

by protiusx ·

In reply to Then perhaps you can explain the missing tons of explosives

Have you ever served in any branch of the service? Are you so ignorant as to think that the commander in chief is aware of all things at all times? Does he give orders to every soldier, airmen and marine in the entire world? If you do you need to be educated on how the military works. The President of the United States gets reports of what is happening in the world from a variety of different sources. The first time he was probably made aware of the munitions was the day the story broke in the paper.
          In the military there is a chain of command. It starts with the little guy (the private) and goes up to the commanding general. There are a lot of people in the middle who make decisions based upon the facts they have on hand. So to say that this weapons cache was a major mistake on the presidents part is a uniformed low brow attack on someone you disagree with. You like your failed candidate (and Bucky) can not get it through your head that not all Americans are Jerry Springer sound bite addicts who?ll believe anything you tell them.

Actually, he was warned

by aldanatech ·

In reply to Oh Come on…

Yes, I do know how the military works. The point is that the administration WAS warned, and yet they did very little about it. I believe it was the actual head of the Iraq nuclear inspection team. He warned officials of the U.S. about the danger of several sites, including the one with the now missing explosives.

Sources Please

by protiusx ·

In reply to Actually, he was warned

I would ask you to provide your sources for this imformation.

A Twisted and Contrived Campaign Issue

by maxwell edison ·

That was a twisted and contrived campaign issue.

If you don’t know the difference between reality and creating a political issue, you are very naive’. (But I already knew that.)

Are you suggesting that it never happened?

by aldanatech ·

In reply to A Twisted and Contrived Campaign Issue

Are you suggesting that it never happened? Those explosives DID disappear, and it really doesn’t matter of anyone turns it in to a political issue. It still threatens the security of either our troops our ourselves.

See next message

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Are you suggesting that it never happened?

Misguided and Misdirected Concern and Rage

by maxwell edison ·

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20041028-122637-6257r.htm

…..And a senior government official told me flatly: “The stuff in Iraq was missing as of April 10, 2003 ? the day after Baghdad fell.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/may/may200410271536.asp

Believe what you want.

By the way, why aren’t you just as outraged about the corrupt United Nations and the oil-for-food program, where UN and French officials accepted bribes and kick-backs, and provided weapons – post 1991 – to Iraq in direct violation of United Nations sanctions and resolutions?

Your concern and rage is very misguided and misdirected, monsieur.

And do you know what else?

by maxwell edison ·

There are literally tens of thousands of Americans, both men and women, both Democrats and Republicans, who are working diligently, here at home, to prevent more terrorist attacks on our soil, and to better prepare us in case one slips through. And they don’t care who’s in the White House, they’d work just as hard.

Yes, without their efforts another terrorist attack would have happened on American soil, there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind. But because of their efforts it did not.

Your silly political rhetoric is an insult to each and every one of them.

Actually…

by aldanatech ·

In reply to And do you know what else?

Actually, I do respect those that do their effort to protect our country. It’s the administration what bothers me. I just feel that they are still not doing to protect us. For example, most of the air cargo today is still not screened for explosives. I also dislike the way that this administration exaggerates its information about Iraq to make its case about the war. On the other hand, I still don’t know why the administration has still not corrected some of the vulnerabilities that lead to 9/11 in the first place; such as establishing and effective intelligence sharing system between state and federal officials. I hope the Bush administration will finally do what it really takes to secure our country soon, and I will not feel secure until it does.

How you “feel”

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Actually…

You will “feel” whatever or however you make your own mind decide what or how you will “feel”.

If you’re determined to “feel” unsecured and vulnerable, so be it.

You will never be convinced to believe something you don’t want to believe.

You are a predetermined conclusion in search of evidence to support it.

And nothing I say will change it. And nothing you say will change the election results. Get over it.

It’s not even about that

by aldanatech ·

In reply to How you “feel”

It’s not even about the election results or what you say. It’s about how this administration handles the situation, which still has quiet a lot room for improvement.

You don’t like it – I do like it

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to It’s not even about that

You don’t like the administration and/or the way they handled things, while I do like the administration and/or the way they handled things.

You’re not happy, while I am happy.

You got one vote, and I got one vote.

Your guy lost, and my guy won.

See you in four years.

But hey, keep trying to plead your case in your lame attempt to discredit the administration – as certainly is your right. But it will change nothing. It won’t change the past, it won’t change the future, and it certainly won’t change anyone’s opinion.

But others just might say, hey, get a life.

Real Issues versus Contrived Issues

by maxwell edison ·

I say this with all sincerity, but you really need to get a grip on real versus contrived. In the heat of an election season, issues will be falling out of the woodwork like dead flies in late summer.

Bill Clinton made an issue of “the homeless” in 1992, but there were just as many (or more) “homeless” in 2000, at the end of his two terms.

Democrats – and many Republicans – made an issue about campaign finance reform in 2000; but in 2004 there was more money spent on political campaigns – and by many more “questionable” sources – than in any other election.

Remember the “term-limits” contrived issue of the 90s? (Both parties, but primarily a Republican “contrived” issue.) Now they conveniently forgot to limit their own terms and/or are flip-flopping on it.

The prescription drug issue was a contrived issue.

The “missing weapons” in Iraq was a contrived issue.

Kerry’s military record was a contrived issue.

Bush’s military record was a contrived issue.

I can’t tell you how many “issues” are contrived for political expediency, but they are the ones that just kinda’ fade away after the election is over.

If you want to keep discussing the issues, why not start a thread on a real issue. Here are some suggestions:

Abortion – Is abortion taking a life or not?

Death Penalty – Is it right for the state to take the life of a convicted felon?

Taxation – Is it a blatant violation of a person’s personal liberty to take a dollar from the person who earned it so as to give it to a person who did not?

Tax Reform – Is our current tax code an abomination, and should it be scrapped in favor of a simpler tax system?

Social Security Reform – Is if really going to be broke by the time thirty-somethings retire? What should we do? Tax people more? Tax people less?

School Choice – Does the current public school system do enough to guarantee a parent’s right to choose an education path for his/her children?

Immigration – What should be done to correct the immigration problems – define the immigration problems – etc.

Dependency on foreign oil – How in the heck can we lessen our dependency on foreign oil? Should we? Can we?

Do you want a real and meaningful discussion on “real issues”? If so, try doing it without the usual political rhetoric and/or attaching names and/or parties to it. It will be much more interesting, meaningful, and “real”.

(You’d actually be surprised to see the areas in which President Bush and I are in disagreement.)

Viewing 4 reply threads