General discussion

Tseng ET 4000 only 16 colors, not 256

By wh32 ·
I am unable to get my video driver to
use 256 colors. The system hangs at the
start of my main page. Running Win95
on a 486 40. Colors look ok in Win3.1
and when I started Win95 this year. Had trouble with Win95 a couple months ago and reloaded Win95. Now they don't look right. I think it is because my PC won't come up when I change to 256 colors. Have reloaded from old Tseng disks for 3.1. Downloaded Tseng32 drivers this week and changed to Tseng32 in Win95. Colors look sharper now butpictures still off, probably since Win95 only allowing 16 colors. Downloaded a driver test this week. It tested system and said 256 colors should be available. Monitor is
Viewsonic 6. The problem started a few weeks
after I downloaded the Bluelight special from
KMart and Win95 went down. After I reloaded
Win95 from disk, it never has accepted
256 colors.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

Open your browser and click on Internet Options,click on the advanced tab, go down the list to multimedia and check to see if smooth dithering is checked,or click on the restore default button.I cannot think of any other problems,since you have downloaded the drivers to update the your graphics board,check the cmos panel in BIOS to see what the monitor settings are vga or super vga,coulds explain your picture not being clear.

Collapse -

by wh32 In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by charlenewil In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

Hi, not sure if u received a reply but same thing happened to me (with the blue light special cd) system was all messed up. I had to do a complete restore to get it fixed. Maybe u can do a partial restore of ur drivers. I still am not exxactly sure what happened. I did not install blue light anymore, switched to alta vista

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by charlenewil In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

Hi, not sure if u received a reply but same thing happened to me (with the blue light special cd) system was all messed up. I had to do a complete restore to get it fixed. Maybe u can do a partial restore of ur drivers. I still am not exxactly sure what happened. I did not install blue light anymore, switched to alta vista

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by gregzeng In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

This often happens to my PC. You need to tell the registers that your monitor is a Viewsonic. If I let it stay as SVGA, same problem as you. When I input to the correct monitor, Great. But when I download the latest drivers from the Viewsonic site (use a search engine, such as Google), it works better than anyone ever thought possible.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by MGuyM In reply to Tseng ET 4000 only 16 col ...

I had this same problem using this Video Card. The problem is that the Card is Cheap and your 486 is sub-standard for running Win 95. I suggest you upgrade your hardware or downgrade your software back to Win31. I Know this may not be the answer you want, but it's the unfortunate answer. Good Luck.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next