General discussion

Upgrade from NT 4.0 to Windows 2003

By tayoajayi ·
I did an upgrade of Win NT 4. server to Win 2003 and since then the Win 2000 client machines can not browse my network places. It always gives the error: "XYZDom" is not accessible. The list of servers for this work group is not currently available".

Initially before the upgrade, there was one NT 4 PDC and two BDCs. The BDCs run exchange 5.5 server. On the PDC I did an in-place upgrade to Win server 2003 and then migrated the mail boxes from exchange 5.5 to echange 2003 using active directory connector (ADC)before installing exchange 2003 on the PDC. The NT 4 domain was XYZdom and after upgrading to server 2003 the DNS domain name is XYZ.com. Each ex 5.5 server hosts different mailboxes i.e john@xyz.com and the client use outlook to check their mails, and the other ex 5.5 server hosts john@xyzafrik.com and the client use outlook express to check their mails. I was only able to migrate that of john@xyz.com using ADC. The other john@xyzafrik.com is still on another exchange 2003 server. Each ex 5.5 server has a public IP address that has been NATed and also the ISPs DNS IP addresses.

Is it possible to host the 2 mail boxes on the same ex 2003 server? Also, from the queues of the ex 2003 there are so many funny e-mail addresses. How can I get rid of them? There is still presently a delay in the recipient recieving e-mails. Help Please very urgent

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TAZZ_NL In reply to Upgrade from NT 4.0 to Wi ...

You cannot host 2 mailboxes for 1 users. With Windows 200x/Exchange 200x MS introduced the mail enabled user. You can create 1 mailbox/mail enabled user and assign 2 e-mail addresses or you can create 2 mailboxes/mail enabled users and assign rights to access johns 2nd mailbox.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Upgrade from NT 4.0 to Wi ...

Concerning computer browsing, have you implemented WINS on your 2003 server to enable Netbios name resolution?

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)