General discussion

Upgrading a dell poweredge 2200

By zlitocook ·
With r/h 2.4.7 installed. Can I upgrade it with Redhat 7.3 or do I need to reinstall? It came with two nic's,one sound card and one T.V. out card installed. It also is set up with apache and a ton of other programs installed. Is there a way to save all the programs or do I have to reinstall them? Any tips or good advice!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by randyarnold In reply to Upgrading a dell poweredg ...

The upgrade should work fine.

Randy

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Upgrading a dell poweredg ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Unix4me In reply to Upgrading a dell poweredg ...

On Dell Web Site about RH7.1 on PowerEdge Servers:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1058545
It looks like these systems have SCSI/hardware RAID capability. This could complicate things.
I'm a chicken; I like to back up my currentposition before I do something that could be rash.
Your can use BRU/CRU to make a "bare-bones" recovery set (tape and bootable diskettes). That's what I have our customers do at work, so I could provide additional help, if necessary. This isn't abad idea, just on general principles for emergency system recovery. Note that you can download an evaluation copy at their Web site; I think it has a 30 day expiration.
There is also an open source recovery option that supposedly handles SCSI (I haven't had time to try it yet). Mondo Rescue 1.45 (freshmeat.net) with Mindi Linux 0.65 (also freshmat.net) needed for the bootable diskette(s).
Now, since you have RH (and a 2.4 kernel) loaded, you already have Linux drivers for your devices. This, combined with the fact that I've seen good reviews of the upgrade mechanism for RH7.3, suggests that you will succeed.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)