General discussion

Upgrading win98 to win 2000

By komba.tpdc ·
I was upgrading three of my corporate machines from windows 98 to windows 2000. One of machine got stuck half way when installing network software allowing it to connect to other computers, networks and internet. I was advised to restore the full sytem. But before I do that, I want to locate all e-mails and make a back-up of them as I did to the other data. Currently I am working under DOS environment which doesn't allow me to export or import any mail messages. Can you assist me.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by eyek In reply to Upgrading win98 to win 20 ...

First of all, install a new hard drive and make it a master. Demote the original hard drive to a slave drive. Install Windows 2000 into the master hard drive. After installing W2K, you'll see all the contents of the original hard drive (slave) and you can able to move all the files into the new hard drive.

Collapse -

by komba.tpdc In reply to Upgrading win98 to win 20 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Upgrading win98 to win 20 ...

The answer already offered is an interesting approach and just might work, but the important piece of information missing from your question is what e-mail system you're using (Exchange with Outlook, Notes, etc.).

With that information, you couldprobably get a better answer as to where to look to find the e-mail data files and move them to a place of safety. For example, in Outlook, the personal address book is stored with a *.pab suffix so you can just do a file search and find out where it is. Similarly, Outlook *.pst files can be managed through DOS.

On the other hand, if everything on the desktop was backed up and you have a server-based e-mail system, the e-mail should be safe and secure on the server.

regards!

paul

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Gonzo2 In reply to Upgrading win98 to win 20 ...

Install the Microsoft Lan Manager (I think - see Microsofts Support page - Microsoft Network Client version 3.0 for MS-DOS ) DOS utilities.
Link to:http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q108/3/91.asp

This will allow the system to participate as a peer client. Use a neighbouring Windows machine on the network to pick off the emails.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)