General discussion

Upgrading Windows ME to Windows 2000

By Jay Eckles ·
As a grad student at Penn State, I have the opportunity to get a free copy of Windows 2000 Pro. My home computer runs Windows ME. Before I perform the upgrade, I wanted to see if anyone has experience upgrading a computer from Windows ME to Windows 2000. I'm specifically interested in finding out what the "gotchas", pitfalls, and tricks associated with the upgrade are, what lessons you learned that you want to pass on, and especially how stable the upgraded system is. Does the upgrade require any special preparation other than backing up important data? Are there hardware compatibility issues I need to investigate (and if so, where can I find an HWC list)? Are there any service packs for 2000 Pro that are highly recommended as an immediate installation after the upgrade?

Thanks for any advice based on practical experience.

Jay Eckles
www.jayeckles.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Lizzy In reply to Upgrading Windows ME to W ...

Windows Me is a 9x OS and therefore cannot be upgraded to Windows 2000, an NT OS, without a total reinstall. You will need to back up all of your data prior to the install, get the drivers for your hardware from the MS site according to their HCL, and have all of your software on hand to reinstall. W2K offers more security and stability than Windows Me. When upgrading any Windows, it is always better to do a total reinstall than upgrade the existing OS as problems in an older version can followinto the newer version. Service packs are also listed at the MS site. Search TechRepublic for articles about service packs for more information. Good luck.

Collapse -

by Jay Eckles In reply to Upgrading Windows ME to W ...

Thanks for the information about not being able to upgrade from ME. I do not particularly agree that "it is always better to do a total reinstall", though.

Collapse -

by LiQuiDKeWL In reply to Upgrading Windows ME to W ...

The Above answer is actually partially incorrect. You CAN upgrade Windows 95/98/NT, Though you cannot upgrade Windows ME.

If you go to this site it will give you all the information you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howtobuy/upgrading/path/default.asp

Cheers ....

Collapse -

Thank you for the link to the upgrade path page. Yours was the most useful answer so far.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Upgrading Windows ME to W ...

check the artickle on MS KB.Article I Q250297 How to Prepare to Upgrade Windows 95 or Windows 98 to Windows 2000

and check the hcl list at:
http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

run the upgrade report in advance before upgrading.
I took care that may internet connection was supported (modem). From there you can search for updated drivers after the installation. Else you have to do that before the upgrading.
Install sp2 right away and the latest security patches.
www.windowsupdate.com.
Ypu can also dualboot between winme and w2k, but you need 2 partitions then, each for a os. (I dualboot win98 and w2k, without problems, 98 is games, w2k work)
If your system is new you wont have too many (bios related issues, and the support of the drivers depends of the brand of the items.)

Good Luck.

Leopold

ps.
www.pcnineoneone.com there are links for installing w2k, networking etc.

Collapse -

Unfortunately the MS KB article doesn't apply since I'm not running Windows 95 or 98. However, it did have an interesting note about running an upgrade report, which I found helpful. Thanks also for the note about sp2.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)