General discussion

Win 2000 - Add/Remove, Search Files Prob

By ajdias ·
I'm having two problems on a Windows 2000 professional system (original - no sps). This system belongs to a coworker's child so I don't know too much about it. It's going back to college with him shortly and I was trying to help him out. I'm not sure if the problems are related so I'm posting them in one message. Any help is greatly appreciated.
First problem is that the add/remove applet doesn't show any programs - only shows a placeholder labeled computer graphic. If you click on this placeholder an error message displays - an unexpected error occurred. Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding the requested name or ordinal. res://appwiz.cpl/default.hta. line 54.
Second problem is that if you try to perform a search for files and folders Windows Installer starts to install Office 2000 Professional. Then an error message pops up - error 1706. The process repeats until you end it through task manager.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bart777 In reply to Win 2000 - Add/Remove, Se ...

Ouch!!!
I would start by doing a repair install on the OS. That should at least take care of the Add\Remove problem. It may also solve the other one, but you may also need to reinstall office.

Good Luck

Collapse -

by ajdias In reply to Win 2000 - Add/Remove, Se ...

Thanks. The repair install did solve the add/remove programs problem. He's taking the computer with him today so he'll live with the other problem until he finds his Office 2000 Professional CD. It took a while for him to find his Windows CD so he may live with it for awhile. Thanks for your response.

Collapse -

by ajdias In reply to Win 2000 - Add/Remove, Se ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)