General discussion

win 2000 Laptop can't release IP address

By FatUncleAL ·
I have a win 2000 Pro laptop in a school network that doesn't release the old IP address. This laptop was getting Ip address from a DHCP server. Lately the address it was using was reserved for some other use. It's giving "IP address conflict"
error message and can't logon to the domain everytime it reboots. I've tried using dos command "IPconfig/release" & "IPconfig/release/all" and it still will not release. I've tried uninstall TCP/IP and reinstall it, problem still there. I gave it a static IP but it still have the error message. What else can I try ? Can I force release it in the registry ? Please show step by step. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sebeling In reply to win 2000 Laptop can't rel ...

this is going out on a limb but the mac addresses don't match on the NIC cards do they?
You don't have a rogue DHCP server do you?
Also when you do a release all in 2000 - the syntax is ipconfig /release_all.

Collapse -

by FatUncleAL In reply to win 2000 Laptop can't rel ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to win 2000 Laptop can't rel ...

Hi,
without sitting in front of your servers I can only give an educated guess. I reckon that your laptop is still getting the address from dhcp. I would check the dhcp reservation, and also check that there is a reservation in the first place rather than the other device simply having been given a static address. I suspect that when you gave the laptop a static address as a test, you may well have given it an address that was already in use without realising it. Hope I'm on the right trackhere....

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by donbrafford In reply to win 2000 Laptop can't rel ...

I would suggest you remove all network protocols, adapters and clients. Reboot the machine and then reload your information. I have seen this before and did the same think, worked fine.

Hope that it will be able to help you.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)