General discussion

Win 2000 Pro Unable to run Scandisk

By gmichaels ·
When I try to run a scandisk as Admin in win 2000 pro I am getting an error message that I am unable to get exlcusive access to the disk. So, I cannot run the scandisk. How can I determine what application is preventing me from getting exclusive access? I assume this same problem will prevent me from running a defrag as well.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Win 2000 Pro Unable to ru ...

The operating system is preventing you from gaining exclusive access to the system/boot partition. It is also preventing you from gaining exclusive access to any partition that contains the pagefile/swapfile. Other applications can prevent exclusive access to other partitions. For example, Exchange will prevent you from gaining exclusive access to any partition that contains information stores. Disk monitoring software may prevent exlusive access to any disks being monitored. Antivirus software that actively monitors disk activity may cause the same behavior. Usually, in a single disk/partition scenario, you must schedule scandisk to run at the next reboot.

This USUALLY does not prevent you from running defrag unless the defrag program detects a disk anomaly and wants you to run scandisk first.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by gmichaels In reply to Win 2000 Pro Unable to ru ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by gmichaels In reply to Win 2000 Pro Unable to ru ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)