General discussion

Win Installer / Office 2000 / Win XP

By scottf ·
I have several new machines that have Windows XP installed on them, I loaded Office 2000 on them using Windows 2000 Server Active Directory and a *.msi package that was created some time ago. The result of this effort left us with the Windows Installer error described in MS Technet Knowledge Base article: KB315346. I have followed the directions concerning fixes explained in this artcle; but, we are still getting the error. Everytime we attempt to load software on these machine, repair office using the following menu path: <Help>, <Detect and Repair>, <start> from excel and/or word we get the same error. Basically, we can't load any software or remove any software, we have followed the steps in the technet article and we have searched the Internet for possible fixes of which we have found none that work.
Thanks for the help with this!!
Scott

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BlitzSonik In reply to Win Installer / Office 20 ...

Just a suggestion but you could try to re-deploy the package using AD or maybe create a new package and deploy that one instead.

As a last resort, if the machines are indentical you could re-install the OS and all applications on one machine then image that machine using something like Ghost then push that image to the rest of you computers.

HTH

Collapse -

by scottf In reply to
Collapse -

by scottf In reply to Win Installer / Office 20 ...

Thanks HTH, however we are trying to avoid the above suggestions becuase of the time involved. We did find a work around, we removed Windows XP service pack 2 and the installer began working again even though we did not have it blocked with the built in Windows XP service pack 2 firewall. Thanks for the suggests, we might end up taking that route if we don't find a faster solution soon.
Thanks,
SCott

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Win Installer / Office 20 ...

Windows XP SP2 is in beta at RC2. I recommend that you notify Microsoft beta about this problem and that if you uninstall SP2 RC2 your installer service works again.

NOTE: XP Service Pack 2 Beta Release Candidate 2 is a non supported service pack until it's official release in August.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

also note I doubt anyone would have suggestions for a work around on beta versions of service packs except Microsoft beta team.

Collapse -

by scottf In reply to

We removed Service Pack 2 and the machines began working correctly. I will notify the Windows team about the problems we have had with this. Anyway, thanks for the help, I am going to close this question.
Thanks,
Scott

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)