General discussion

win95\98 scandisk hangs---resubmitted,un

By jcollins@cityofsacramento ·
several machines are developing this symtom:ScanDisk hangs at "scanning file allocation table" and locks up machine- - -any help out there? thanks in advance for all your help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to win95\98 scandisk hangs-- ...

My suggestion to you is this:
Go to Symantec site www.symantec.com, download the trial version of SystemWorks, run the system doctor and the Optimization Wizard. Will not cost you anything and is fully unistallable. My guess is that it will take care of your problem. If you can afford it, buy it! it's a great tool to have around you.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to win95\98 scandisk hangs-- ...

Hi, be sure to disable any virus scanning software you may have running on your machines (usually right click on the desktop icon and disable it). Sometimes virus scanning software "interferes" and will either hang up scandisk or keep forcing scandisk to start from the beginning (looping). Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ec364 In reply to win95\98 scandisk hangs-- ...

The two gentlemen's suggestions are excellent. May I add, only if you're running Norton Antivirus, that after you have disabled Norton Antivirus and finished, hopefully, the Scandisk, reinstall Norton Antivirus and install the most recent virus definition. It worked for me when I got the same problem.

Enjoy!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Zalog In reply to win95\98 scandisk hangs-- ...

Any program that does disk access during scan disk will cause it to restart. The same is true for defrag. I recommend restarting your PC in safe mode and running scan disk. This way you will be sure noting is running that will interfear with it compleating.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bart.vanas In reply to win95\98 scandisk hangs-- ...

The new ViruScan 4.5 engine causes ScanDisk to hang at all our machines. Disable it before running scandisk or keep with the 4.0-engine.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next