General discussion

windows 2000

By Shanghai Sam ·
How do I connect win 2000 clients to linux server using samba. I got it to work with win 98 but not win 2000. I am using samba that came with my redhat 7 .
Thanks,
Jehu.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows 2000

by stoker In reply to windows 2000

I don't have any problems accessing samba from any windows 2000 computer. With older versions of samba there are some problems with authenticating agains a W2K server/domain. Also if you are running samba-pdc this is still somewhat under development. I am running a stand alone samba (smbd) version 2.0.7, which all clients can access without any problems, however the user database is authed locally, so the users (not guests) must be a user of the linux and the samba base. With newer samba versions it is possible to auth against a w2k directory I believe..

[global]
workgroup = VIKINGS
netbios name = HAGAR
server string = File server
encrypt passwords = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
max log size = 1000
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
os level = 31
local master = No
dns proxy = No
invalid users = root
admin users = administrator

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
writeable = Yes
create mask = 0770
directory mask = 0770
browseable = No

[public]
comment = Public share
path = /home/public
writeable = Yes
create mask = 0774
guest ok = Yes

Collapse -

windows 2000

by stoker In reply to windows 2000

Maybe you could post a comment about what needs you have for authentication etc?

I guess the passwords must be encrypted for the W2K machines to be able to use it.

Collapse -

windows 2000

by wls In reply to windows 2000

There's encryption happening at W2K. You need to turn this off.

/usr/doc/Linux-HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO should contain a registry change to fix the authentication problem.

[If your SMB-HOWTO file isn't in that directory, you can find it on the web, orusing the find / -name SMB-HOWTO -print command]

Collapse -

windows 2000

by brianbarber In reply to windows 2000

You will need to upgrade to the lastest version of Samba. This is an issue that has been resolved in newer versions.

Back to Linux Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums