Question

Windows 2000 profiles

By mperry ·
I have a question for those with Windows 2000 expertise; please help if you know the solution. I have a laptop running Win2000 in a standalone environment. Yesterday i get a call from the user who says his computer has lost everything, and it's the end of the world! I manager to get back into the desktop using the same username and password he always uses. What I found was that in the 'documents and setting' folder there was another profile.
Let's say his login name is 'joeblow'. So his profile under that folder would also be 'joeblow' right? Well, there?s now a folder called ?joeblow.joe? in there as well, and that?s the profile it seems to be using for that user now. I tried manually copying the contents of the sub-folders from each user directory, and managed to get his important documents back, but his outlook setting are gone. My question is how do I change the PC back to match his proper profile? From what I?ve read it might have something to do with losing full control permission for the user profile folder. I?m no win2000 expert, so it?s just a guess! Will restoring the user profile bring his user environment back? I don?t want to mess thing up worse for him, so I?m leery about doing anything without some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)