General discussion

Windows 2000 server restore from backup

By jallen201 ·
I recently had to restore a Windows 2000 server from my Backup Exec tape backup because of a HDD failure. All backup operations seemed to run fine but I can't logon to the network from this 2000 server. The username and password I want to use for mydomain won't work. I can logon to the 2000 server with the Administrator account for the local computer domain, but my network logon account for this machine fails. I also noticed that I have an "Account Unknown" in my user profile window on this server that is probably the one I need. I can ping my PDC which is an NT4.0 box, but I can't seem to login to this server with the admin account for the domain. Is this a problem with the profile? Could it be an issue with the PDC? Please help!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2000 server resto ...

Did your backup include the System State and did you restore this along with the files/folders that were on the drive(s)? The System State includes registry hives and SAM information that is necessary to completely restore a server, particularly ifit's a domain controller. I would not want to try to advise you as to how to recover this, as it can be very complex and tricky. I spent about 2 days on the phone with Microsoft the last time I had to do it - and since then I have MADE SURE that the System State information is always backed up properly!! If your backup did include this information and you just didn't restore it, then try that first. Otherwise - good luck!!! Sorry I can't be of more help. . .

Collapse -

by jallen201 In reply to Windows 2000 server resto ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Pan 13 x In reply to Windows 2000 server resto ...

if this is not a Domain controller. an easy fix is to remove yourself from the domain. Delete the server account in server manager and Re-join the domain. the computer account and the domain where corrupted on the system and the PDc doesn't think itbelongs.

I have went through this to many times.... The only thing that could help is to have a windows 2000 erd made for that system. That could also bring it back.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by henrywi In reply to Windows 2000 server resto ...

you probably did an none authoritative backup

you have to make an authoritative backup, to re joing the AD

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)